Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

buy and replace front drive shaft on a c4 -1999 tiptroninc

Hi everyone!

One of my front outer CV-joint is broken on my 996 c4 -1999 tiptronic. and as i understand I need to replace the hole driveshaft. So my question is if someone here have experience of this? Is it a DIY jobb or am I better of taking it to a mechanic? any special tols involved?

And any tips on where to buy/ renovate the driveshaft preferably in Europe?

Thanks

Johan

Sweden

Johan,

Yes, this should be an easy DIY project. You'll need to know the torque settings for the universal bolts. Do you have a Bentley's manual, if not that would be a good investment to make before any project. If you need the torque information I can look it up for you.

It appears that the drive shaft comes as a unit. I have one for sale after removing my front diff, but any savings would be offset by the shipping cost.

post-85466-0-44479600-1398349544_thumb.pJohan,

post-85466-0-95558200-1398349792_thumb.j

I think you are talking about replacing the whole CV axle not the front differential driveshaft. Pelican has a pretty good write-up:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Porsche-996-997-Carrera/41-TRANS-Replacing_CV_Joints/41-TRANS-Replacing_CV_Joints.htm

The hardest part is removing the large nut holding the axle onto the hub which will be 80% of the job. I like to loosen it slightly with the wheels on the ground prior to taking things apart (wheel center cap removed). Make sure you use a new axle nut and tighten it to spec. I believe it is 340 ft-lbs, so the right tools are needed.

the problem with DIY and high toque numbers is we forget the whole foot pounds thing, a 3.4 foot long wrench needs 100 pounds of pull. a 100 foot long wrench would need 3.4 pounds of pull. so do the math. I use a fish scale to pull the wrench to the required poundage.