Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2000 996 Third Brake Light Replacement

The Third Brake Light Assembly on my 2000 996 Carrera fell apart into multiple pieces. The original Part number is 99663105000. I have been calling Porsche Dealerships, Pelican parts and every other Porsche parts dealers i can find but with no luck. I am being told that Porsche is not making/supplying this part anymore. I have heard of Porsche owners replacing this Part with a LED Assembly, but i have heard that the LED assembly triggers a Error Code. Does anybody know where i can purchase the original part or the LED assembly and if you have knowledge or have replaced the original assembly with the LED assemby have a fix for stopping the error codes i would greatly appreciate it very much.

Thanks

Rob

www.spoilerlights.com

Good place to start. You've got options to replace or upgrade to a newer look etc. I did both the 3rd light as well as the spoiler light in clear with no issues. Freshened up the look and function since they're way brighter. If you've altered the wing/motor you may need the supplied resistors, but its an easy fix. Did mine ? 2 years ago and no CEL etc.

if this is what you want you also have option to upgrade license plate light to LED's etc, as well as newer style 997 rear lens. All in all, these are fun projects to do and should put a smile on your face at night .

good luck

996 631 050 06 should be a direct replacement..

I finally talked to someone that made sense on this subject. I talked to Andraya at Sunset Imports in Beaverton, Oregon. Andraya informed me that Porsche has the Parts on hand to manufacture the Lastest version for third Brake Light (996.631.050.06) and it could take a alittle while to get them assembled and shipped out. I was added to her list of 911 owners needing this part.

Edited by Rob357

www.spoilerlights.com

Good place to start. You've got options to replace or upgrade to a newer look etc. I did both the 3rd light as well as the spoiler light in clear with no issues. Freshened up the look and function since they're way brighter. If you've altered the wing/motor you may need the supplied resistors, but its an easy fix. Did mine ? 2 years ago and no CEL etc.

if this is what you want you also have option to upgrade license plate light to LED's etc, as well as newer style 997 rear lens. All in all, these are fun projects to do and should put a smile on your face at night .

good luck

The Third Brake Light i need is the one mounted in the body, my spoiler brake light is working and this one is already an LED model.

I will look into Spoilerlights.com.

Thanks

Rob

Edited by Rob357

996 631 050 06 should be a direct replacement..

I finally talked to someone that made sense on this subject. I talked to Andraya at Sunset Imports in Beaverton, Oregon. Andraya informed me that Porsche has the Parts on hand to manufacture the Lastest version for third Brake Light (996.631.050.06) and it could take a alittle while to get them assembled and shipped out. I was added to her list of 911 owners needing this part.

I'm really surprised that it is different to the 996.2 part. I had to get a replacement for my 2002 and Jim Ellis had it. If you like I can send you my broken one so that you can determine whether the 996.2 part will in fact fit. Just pay me shipping :)

I also drive a 2000.

I got my LED 3rd brake light at this site last year: http://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com/store/p83/Porsche_996_Led_3rd_Brake_Light_.html

Works great, no codes whatsoever.

It has a white exterior appearance as shown in the website picture, but lights up bright red.

I believe they are located in Florida now.

I ordered a LED Third Brake Light from Spoilerlights.com. Arrived a few minutes ago, installed in less then 2 minutes and fits perfectly, very bright!. I am very satisfied with this purchase, my thanks to all who replied back to my call for assistance and especially to bBunny.

best regards

Rob

• 1 year later...

www.spoilerlights.com

good luck

bBunny

I had installed the Depo tail lights and now the smoked third brake lights and lost my cruise functionality. It seems to be common since what I am reading is that in addition to the 50w 6ohm resistors for the tail-lights, you would also need the resistor for the 3rd brake light. The issue is do I need one for the recessed one as well as the one in the electric spoiler? If so, how did you mount your resistor for the lights in the spoiler when you should not attach it to plastic because of the heat generated?

Any input would be appreciated.

:help:

• 1 year later...

I just added the spoiler and the spoiler brake llght does not come on.

The standard 3rd brake light does not come on either.

Are they interconnected or two different power sources?  I assume they are the same, both brake lights.

I am gong to get them tested, but really drives me off the wall that everything works except for those two lights.

Fuses are ok.