Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Transmission and Engine Mount Questions (DIY)

I just picked up a new to me 1999 911. When I let off the throttle, there is excessive drive line slop. In addition, at idle there is more vibration than should be expected. Therefore, I'd like to replace the engine mounts and the transmission mount.

As far as the required parts, can anyone point me in the right direction? As far as the install, is there a DIY?

I'll have the car on a hoist this week putting my my Fister Ds, so I intend to do the mounts at the same time.

Thanks! !

The engine mounts are one of the easiest DIYs. The 996 DIY section will show you how to remove the air intake box (air filter replacement) and there is a section on proper/approved engine support locations or do a search. You will also need to unbolt and remove the cold start emissions air pump ("secondary air injection pump") mounted to the left of the engine bay close to the left side motor mount.

There are two smaller M8 bolts on the top side of each mount and there is a larger M12 that is accessed from underneath. Replace one mount at a time and tighten the M8's to 18 lbs-ft, the large nut to 60 lbs-ft. I would start there before the tranny mount.

Nothing to do with the problem you are seeing but if you are going this far and just bought the car, I would replace the air filter and serpentine belt and check all of the belt pulleys for excessive play. You can also clean the throttle body butterfly. In addition, the vents on the bottom side of the air pump can be cleaned with a rag (it picks up a lot of lint, hair, and junk)

Manual or tip?

For the tip I don't know. For the manual you have to drop the transmission and take it to a shop to have them press out the old mount and press in a new one.

However, there are alternatives.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/996-forum/782771-increase-996-chassis-stability-and-enhance-shifter-feel-and-accuracy.html

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/996-forum/811134-transmission-mount-urethane-fill-diy.html

Manual or tip?

For the tip I don't know. For the manual you have to drop the transmission and take it to a shop to have them press out the old mount and press in a new one.

However, there are alternatives.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/996-forum/782771-increase-996-chassis-stability-and-enhance-shifter-feel-and-accuracy.html

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/996-forum/811134-transmission-mount-urethane-fill-diy.html

Ugh...You have to drop the tranny? That's a bit beyond what I was hoping. That tranny insert might be the way to go....

Yes, you have to remove it and no there is not enough room. That is why I recommended that you do the easy engine mounts first (20% effort fixes 80% or more of the problem).

If you really want to replace the one on the transaxle, then you are in for at least $1000 clutch job and possibly the IMS bearing since you have already the tranny out of the car. One recommended thread to look through:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/28781-diy-for-transmission-mount-rr/?p=180226#entry180226

Edited by xmac