Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Removing Radiator Cooling Fan on C4S

Firstly, apologies for the cross-post. I put this topic up at Rennlist this morning, but got no replies...

I need to change a ballast resistor on my C4S, and on this car, it's not as easy as for the slim-body 996s. I'd rather not remove the rads because it seems to me that would add a lot of work. Once I get the fan out, it'll be easy for me to change the ballast resistor (I'm an electronics guy).

Based on instructions that I've seen in the Bentley workshop manual (pages 19-22 and 19-23), it looks like the whole fan housing assembly just slides off the back of the radiators (with the wheel liner removed) without too much fuss - apparently without the need for removing the radiator.

Basically, I believe the order (adapted from Bentley) is to:

1. Remove rad mounting "circlips".

2. Remove bracket mounting bolts and bracket.

3. Remove radiator support bracket.

4. Disconnect fan electrical connection and detach remaining clips from fan housing.

5. Slide fan housing out of bracket.

Is it really this simple? Am I correct then that you don't need to remove the full radiator to get the fan off?

I've studied a picture of the 996 Turbo/C4S radiator, and it looks like if I undo the two screws noted (near the edge of the car) and then pull out, the fan housing should slide right out - it is only slide clips that hold the fan housing to the back of the rad.

This correct?

Rad_Annotated.jpg

Also, how do you remove the "circlip" that the outer edge of the radiator is fastened to?

Thanks Mac and Dave - appreciate the replies. However, the "resistor structure" on the 996 C4S fan is pretty different from the C2 996 resistor - part looks completely different and is stuck to the back of the fan assembly, rather than hanging down like a cigar. Anyway, I'm pretty sure it is still doable without removing the rads, might try next weekend.

Thanks Mac and Dave - appreciate the replies. However, the "resistor structure" on the 996 C4S fan is pretty different from the C2 996 resistor - part looks completely different and is stuck to the back of the fan assembly, rather than hanging down like a cigar. Anyway, I'm pretty sure it is still doable without removing the rads, might try next weekend.

Sorry, too quick on the keyboard. Looks like it is an integrated part of the fan assembly. If it was me, I would remove the front bumper to get full access and then clean the radiators while removed.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings - I went ahead and did this on the weekend. Was not really a bad job, just lots to pay attention to! Took about 4 hours to get everything done (replaced one whole fan unit, and replaced the ballast resistor on one side) -- and this included cleaning out the rads.

As it turns out, to be able to pull the radiator fans out on a C4S / 996 Turbo, you do need to remove the bumper as one of the bolts is hidden far beneath the bumper (the other 3 are easily accessible just by removing the wheel well cover). Once these are off, easy to pull out the fan mounts and either replace the whole fan unit (as I did on one side), and a little more work to replace the ballast resistors. What makes the ballast resistor a little more work to replace is that there is literally zero-tolerance on the amount of wire available (i.e you get one cut, that's it) and on one of the solder points, you need to splice two wires together and yet still join them to a fairly small mounting point.

Anyway, I will post some pictures shortly.

• 1 year later...

Hi Spender,

I read your post about replacing the ballast resistor on your C4s and I wanted to ask you how you went about replacing it. I have an 02 996tt and the driver side fan only comes on high speed when I put the AC on and the passenger side doesn't work at all. I just purchased the new fan motor with the ballast resistor but don't know where to buy just the resistor or how to go about replacing it. Any advise would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

Saadi

• Admin

Hi Spender,

I read your post about replacing the ballast resistor on your C4s and I wanted to ask you how you went about replacing it. I have an 02 996tt and the driver side fan only comes on high speed when I put the AC on and the passenger side doesn't work at all. I just purchased the new fan motor with the ballast resistor but don't know where to buy just the resistor or how to go about replacing it. Any advise would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

Saadi

http://www.renntech.org/forums/tutorials/article/40-removing-and-installing-ballast-resistor-for-the-radiator-fan-motor/

• Moderators

Hi Loren,

The link took me to a post talking about 3 center dash strip removal. Don't know if the link is correct or I'm doing something wrong?

I just tried it and it took me to the DIY for replacing ballast resistors................