Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

How to remove fuel filler door

• 1 year later...
On 6/20/2013 at 11:17 AM, DK570 said:

Ah, I need some quick help! I new I needed a new hinge so I ordered one, and thought the 996 number was superseded by a 997 number. The 997 hinge does not fit though! It hits where the tether attaches. Has anyone had this problem? Currently I have no means of attaching my fuel door, since I have a broken 996 hinge, and a non fitting 997 hinge 😞 Thanks in advance.

I have a 2001 996 C2. I was struggling for 45 minutes and was not smart enough to see that the tether attachment rivet was blocking it. I came here for help. I removed the plastic tether rivet, the new hinge from Suncoast  (997 201 063 00) then snapped right in, and I stuffed the rubber square washer tether end into this (drain?) hole at 4:30 around the cap (fits perfect). It is still just long enough to hook onto the inside of the fuel door. I'm going to go get gas now, just to watch the lid stay in its open position.

IMG_0636.jpg

Edited by galavanter

I̶'̶m̶ ̶g̶o̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶g̶o̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶a̶ ̶l̶i̶m̶b̶ ̶h̶e̶r̶e̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶d̶i̶s̶a̶g̶r̶e̶e̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶a̶ ̶m̶o̶d̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶f̶i̶r̶s̶t̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶u̶m̶.̶ ̶ ̶I̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶1̶0̶7̶º̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶I̶ ̶l̶i̶v̶e̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶I̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶s̶i̶d̶e̶ ̶m̶e̶s̶s̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶h̶o̶u̶r̶.̶ ̶I̶ ̶h̶a̶d̶ ̶t̶a̶k̶e̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶d̶o̶o̶r̶ ̶i̶n̶s̶i̶d̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶m̶o̶u̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶n̶e̶w̶ ̶h̶i̶n̶g̶e̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶g̶o̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶g̶o̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶s̶i̶d̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶o̶p̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶r̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶i̶n̶.̶ ̶T̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶d̶i̶d̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶h̶a̶p̶p̶e̶n̶.̶ ̶ ̶ ̶ ̶ ̶ ̶I̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶I̶ ̶q̶u̶o̶t̶e̶d̶.̶ ̶T̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶n̶e̶w̶ ̶h̶i̶n̶g̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶s̶l̶i̶g̶h̶t̶l̶y̶ ̶d̶i̶f̶f̶e̶r̶e̶n̶t̶.̶ ̶T̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶e̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶n̶e̶e̶d̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶m̶o̶v̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶o̶r̶d̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶m̶o̶u̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶n̶e̶w̶ ̶h̶i̶n̶g̶e̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶e̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶m̶o̶u̶n̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶o̶t̶t̶o̶m̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶h̶i̶n̶g̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶m̶o̶r̶e̶.̶ ̶T̶h̶e̶ ̶h̶o̶l̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶p̶a̶r̶t̶i̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶b̶l̶o̶c̶k̶e̶d̶ ̶b̶y̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶h̶i̶n̶g̶e̶ ̶i̶t̶s̶e̶l̶f̶.̶ ̶N̶o̶t̶ ̶i̶m̶p̶o̶s̶s̶i̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶m̶a̶y̶b̶e̶,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶I̶ ̶t̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶u̶p̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶s̶t̶i̶c̶ ̶r̶i̶v̶e̶t̶ ̶w̶h̶i̶l̶e̶ ̶t̶a̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶.̶ ̶T̶h̶e̶ ̶m̶e̶m̶b̶e̶r̶ ̶I̶ ̶q̶u̶o̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶b̶o̶u̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶I̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶s̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶b̶y̶ ̶S̶u̶n̶c̶o̶a̶s̶t̶.̶ ̶Y̶o̶u̶ ̶n̶e̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶m̶o̶u̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶e̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶e̶l̶s̶e̶w̶h̶e̶r̶e̶.̶ ̶T̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶d̶r̶a̶i̶n̶ ̶h̶o̶l̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶b̶y̶ ̶n̶o̶ ̶m̶e̶a̶n̶s̶ ̶i̶n̶o̶p̶e̶r̶a̶b̶l̶e̶.̶ ̶I̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶h̶p̶ ̶l̶o̶s̶s̶,̶ ̶I̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶e̶p̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶.̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶

Happy now?

4 hours ago, JFP in PA said:

You have the tether blocking the drain hole (bad idea), it goes to the bottom of the hinge:

spacer.png

IMG_0638.jpg

Maybe it's not inoperable but it is blocking the drain hole and that is certainly not advisable as the moderator is saying.  If that was my car and the tether is causing such problems, I would just cut the tether.  All else equal that is a better solution than blocking the drain hole.

On 7/4/2022 at 4:53 AM, Silver_TT said:

Maybe it's not inoperable but it is blocking the drain hole and that is certainly not advisable as the moderator is saying.  If that was my car and the tether is causing such problems, I would just cut the tether.  All else equal that is a better solution than blocking the drain hole.

My previous strike-through post was meant to be humorous. 

My only problem with my initial on the fly solution, was that although the tether could still be hooked onto the inside of the fuel door, a couple more inches of length (as stock) was preferable. The zip-tie solved the problem handily. JFB's post did make me rethink my solution, so I am grateful. 

I'm new to the Porsche world, and this forum has proven to be invaluable. I retain the right however, to make my own calls on my own car. I went through a $5 auto car wash  yesterday (quick rinse only), after speaking to the attendants. I will do it again.

• 3 months later...