Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

crazed lenses on 996tt

• Moderators

Long before I'd take any kind sandpaper to the lights, I would start with an orbital buffer and some fine glass polish (we use Griot's); usually that is all it takes to bring them back to near new condition.

before-after-headlight-restoration.jpg

Just don't get this stuff on the paint, mask off the lights first.

• Moderators

Thanks everybody for input. JFP, can you tell me which Griot's product you have used as there appear to be various options.

Griot's fine glass polish, Amazon carries it as well as Griot's website: http://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garage-11074-Glass-Polish/dp/B00AX4TW98/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1402085044&sr=1-1&keywords=griot%27s+glass+polish

• Moderators

I have had excellent results on all cars in my shop using 600 grit all the way up to 1500 grit. Then take a foam pad with novis plastic polish. They will look better than new...

I wasn't saying it cannot be done using sandpaper, but most of the DIY's that we have seen that went very wrong involved sandpaper, while nobody seems to have problems using a fine glass polish and a buffer instead. Sandpaper, even when wet, can cut very quickly and deeply, leaving a real mess to recover, especially when used with power tools; fine glass polish cuts more slowly and in a more controlled manner, so it is more forgiving to first time mistakes.

• 2 weeks later...

There seem to also be numerous "kits" for doing this. I recently saw a "turtle wax headlight restorer kit".

(Dougg996 - supercheaps sell it for $30 bucks).

Has anyone had any luck with these kits, or is the DIY option the best.

My RH headlight looks like a crow did line dancing on it, it's not foggy though..

• Moderators

There seem to also be numerous "kits" for doing this. I recently saw a "turtle wax headlight restorer kit".

(Dougg996 - supercheaps sell it for $30 bucks).

Has anyone had any luck with these kits, or is the DIY option the best.

My RH headlight looks like a crow did line dancing on it, it's not foggy though..

Headlights with crazing, which is what yours sounds like, probably will not benefit from the over the counter cheap kits which are designed to deal with hazed over units.  For major scratches or crazing, you are going to need to go to sanding.  Fortunately, 3M makes a pretty good kit for this that contains several abrasive grit levels to sand out the problems, plus a polish to remove any haze, and protectant to apply when the lights are done.  You can find these at Wal-Mart, Amazon, and many other outlets:

81B5rqpV5SL._SL1500_.jpg

• Moderators

3M kit is really good. I recommend applying a Xpel clear film after. Otherwise the UV will re-damage the lights.

+1 on the 3M kit.  Buy 2.  I went through a whole kit on each lens on my Boxster.

+1 on a good UV protectant too.   1 year after the refurb, my headlights started to yellow.  Quickly got rid of the yellowing with ScratchX, but it would not have been necessary if I had taken the time to put a good UV protectant on them.

• 3 months later...