Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Unpleasant surprise on the way to work this morning

So I decided to take my 911 to work today since traffic is a lot lighter on Friday. Got about 12 miles into the 17 mile drive and started to notice a cloud of smoke behind me. Had to slow down and once I got below 3000 rpm it largely went away. Pulled off the highway and on the 1/3 mile drive between the highway and the the garage I noticed that there was a whine, kind of like a serpentine belt, when below 1500 rpm. Parked immediately. Called AAA and it took forever for the truck to come. Had to get the car out of the garage and it smoked again on startup but no whine. I'm hoping that this is just the AOS but am not sure. Any other ideas on what this might be?

The water pump was replaced not that long ago (about 1 year and somewhere between 10k and 14k miles) and there was no increase in temperature. Waiting to get their assessment on Monday to see what it is but had to drive out of the garage to get it onto the flatbed. Still lots of smoke but no whine when it started up again. Definitely hope that it's just the AOS. The IMSB, RMS, clutch, water pump, coolant flush, transmission oil and I think brake fluid were all changed in the last 18 months and 17k miles. Tires have 5k miles on them. PPI showed compression between 100.1 and 100.6 on all six cylinders. Zero oil consumption. Overall a very well maintained car, just hoping nothing else blows up in the next couple of years while I put about 5000-7000 miles a year on it.

Here's a quick test for you to determine if it is the AOS:

Remove the oil fill cap. You should feel just the slightest amount of suction, and you will hear the idle change as you put your hand on and off the intake tube.

If you feel a lot of suction or have trouble getting the cap off, then its likely the AOS.

Just got the call from the Indy shop, they say AOS, also wanted another $155 for cleaning the throttlebody and intake hoses, that piece seems silly and like a ripoff. Any thoughts?

How much do they charge per hour? Seems fair. Figure time plus cleaning materials (brake cleaner?).

It seems fair, my question is really if it's worth having a shop do this or if I should just take off the intake and the TB and clean everything myself saving $145 to $150 since I would just need some rags and some TB cleaner.

It seems fair, my question is really if it's worth having a shop do this or if I should just take off the intake and the TB and clean everything myself saving $145 to $150 since I would just need some rags and some TB cleaner.

I'm not a DIY kind of guy. I'm good a concours prep and would rather be driving, so I am willing to pay for all the other stuff.

I bet your car will be running great when they get done with the AOS and cleaning. Good luck.

I would prefer to do it myself.  I think once you get started there will be more clean-up needed depending on how the old AOS was fairing.  If they stick to that price, they may gloss over some other hoses and clean-up that should also take place.

Here is an excellent DIY by contributing member Hobbes  PRESS HERE .  The write-up is worth reviewing regardless of who you have do the work.

Edited by kbrandsma