Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Installing Aftermarket Differential

• Moderators

When installing an aftermarket torque-biasing diff (on a '00 C2), is it a simple remove-and-replace deal or are there any other parts that need to be added/replaced during the process?

This is way more than a simple bolt in swap.  I obviously do not know your background or how capable you are in the shop, but unless you have removed, disassembled, and then successfully reassembled one of these gearboxes, I would suggest taking the car to someone with more experience in the subject.

• Moderators

I understand that...am not planning to DIY this one. I just wanted to know if any other parts are needed.

Side carrier bearings, some shims, ring gear bolts, Loctite, etc.; all of which an installer should have on hand.  As they will be taking the gearbox apart to do this, you should have them inspect all the bearings and the syncro's on every gear and consider getting one of GBox's second gear detent up grade kits (http://www.gboxweb.com/detent.html), a billet retainer plate (http://www.gboxweb.com/retainer1.html) .

• Moderators

That makes sense. Good opportunity for the GBox bits, too.

Thanks for the info, JFP!

If you are interested, you can ship your unit to Gbox, and (for a fee) they will go through it end to end, and install the LSD for you.  They are not cheap, but you could not ask for better craftsmanship, plus they have any part you might need on the shelf.  We have sent them gear boxes in all kinds of conditions, and were always pleased with their services.

Just a thought.................... ;)

+2 on Gbox. I had my trans redone by a local P-car shop in Richmond. I added a Guard Torque-biasing dif, had the second gear synchros replaced, and did the 2nd gear detent. For what I ended up paying, I could have bought a Gbox unit.