Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I've got a 2003 C4S with Porsche P/N brake pads...  I can have brand new clean wheels and a 100 miles later the interior drum is coated in a nasty black dust from the brake pads.  I know if you get a harder pad then you can get squeally brake noises, and a harder pedal.

Does anyone have any solutions for this?  Is there any magic cleaners, I've used a lot of them, but they all seem to take some elbow grease.

Thanks,

• Moderators

What has completely solved this dilemma for me was to change to Hawk HPS Fero-carbon pads.  No pad dust, no squeal, good pedal feel, and long lasting.

One other trick to keep road dust, etc. from clinging to the wheel is to coat the inside and exterior of the wheel with Rejex, which is a polymer surface coating originally designed for aircraft.  

Google both of these products to find your nearest distributor.  

O.E.,

Wow, you're the concours champ, I looked up your winning ways...  My last concour fling was a class win at Pebble Beach nearly 30 years ago.  Thanks for the information, I have Rejex on the shelf.  I'll look into the the Hawk brake pads.  I hate the dirty wheels...

Thanks for the reply,

For the original question you may want to try Armor All Rim Protectant.  It is a spray that you apply on dry rims and dramatically reduces the amount of dust that builds up.  I was sceptical but so far I've been impressed with the product.  It doesn't survive through a serious wash, but it only takes a few seconds each to apply.

I've tried wheel wax and a few others in the past but I never continued to use them because the effort to apply was too high.

I have also heard of people painting the inside of the rim with black plastic dip.  It doesn't reduce the dust at all, but makes it less visible.  I've been debating trying that myself.

What has completely solved this dilemma for me was to change to Hawk HPS Fero-carbon pads.  No pad dust, no squeal, good pedal feel, and long lasting.

One other trick to keep road dust, etc. from clinging to the wheel is to coat the inside and exterior of the wheel with Rejex, which is a polymer surface coating originally designed for aircraft.  

Google both of these products to find your nearest distributor.

+ 1 on the rejex, that will fix your dusk issues.

• Moderators

O.E.,  

I've read where guys dump the vibration pads and are still waiting for the first squeal or chatter.  Would you leave them out, would you just replace the old ones, or replace with new?

Thanks,

I have also heard that some leave the vibration dampers off the new pads without any noise issues.  I chose to reuse the vibration pads on my 996.  I use a metal putty knife to separate them from the brake pads during removal.  The rear vibration pads are difficult to remove because there are two per pad, and damage easily when they are separated from the brake pads. New vibration dampers are pretty pricey.