Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Can't Get Engine Carrier Bracket Holes To Line Back Up With Engine

After replacing the water pump and T-Stat I have a jack holding up the engine with a board across the engine sump. Both Bentley and Wayne's book say only to apply slight support to the engine from the sump as it can't handle too much weight. As you can see from the pics I can't get the engine high enough relative to the engine carrier bracket to center the centering bolt in the engine carrier frame.  I think that's how I sheared it off trying to tighten it when it was too off center.  I thought it seems simple - just jack up the engine a touch more and the holes in the engine should move up and be centered on the bracket, but I am afraid to apply too much load on the sump and when I jack the engine up a touch I see the car lift so I stop and am paranoid. Could I please get some guidance? Keep jacking? move the jack to the lifting spot rear of the sump and jack? Why wouldn't the engine lift relative to the carrier bracket? -Aren't the engine mounts bearing the load so what is the bracket doing? many thanks for any help.

post-91409-0-62757400-1410399425_thumb.jpost-91409-0-48803800-1410399445_thumb.jpost-91409-0-64843800-1410399471_thumb.jpost-91409-0-06803900-1410399489_thumb.j

Ahsai - As you suggested I moved the jack to that lifting point behind the sump instead of wood under the sump- thanks. That was making me nervous anyway. I tried your suggestion and loosened the nut on the engine mount that holds the engine carrier bracket on the motor mounts, which I was sure would solve the problem.  Strangely the bracket and engine moved in perfect tandem preserving the misalignent between the bracket and the bolt hole in the engine, even with quite a drop in the bracket on the mount's bolt.  Was totally puzzled, but thought I must need to jack the engine up higher to get the centering bolt hole to align with the carrier bracket hole, but all the instructions said just to slightly support the engine and I was already 1/4" above support only.  Out of frustration, I overcame my fear and jacked another 1/2" or so and whammo - problem solved. I was paranoid of damage from jacking the engine too far up into the car if the bracket was not holding it down, but it worked.

Chicagospeed996 - thanks, that was pretty much the problem (ps grew up next door in Wheaton IL - great place)

Glad you got it sorted. I think what happened was the bracket got caught with something on the engine so they moved in tandem but that extra 1/2" raise freed that up.

That jacking point is strong enough to raise the rear of the car (while putting tremendous force pushing the engine mounts up...so not recommended for jacking up the car) so it's safe to use it to jack up just the engine.