Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2008 Cayenne S with scored # 8 Cylinder

I stumbled across a 2008 S with 61K miles and a scored # 8 cylinder in the 4.8 engine.  Two different Porsche dealers boroscoped the engine and confirm that it is only the # 8 cylinder that is scored.   The dealer is asking $14,500 for it, and Kelley Blue Book Fair Trade In is $19,428.  I have asked my local Porsche independent shop for a quote to remove the engine, bore out the number #8 cylinder, press in a new sleeve, and reassemble the car.

Assuming that the quote is reasonable, would this be a good engine after the rework, or has the cold starts in the Minnesota winters and the 20,000 mile oil change intervals caused permanent damage?

Should I get a new coolant distributor installed while the engine is out?

no there will be plenty of life in the cayenne after the fix.

Personally though, that isn't a very good deal.  being realistic, by the time they yank the motor, do the engine work, and reinstall, you're going to be into this project many thousands of dollars.  It'd probably be cost neutral to just find a second block and not waste the time on all the machine work time.

Second point is just the price point.  14,500 for a cayenne that is essentially not running well?  and a regular CS?  I say it's more hassle than it's worth.  but that's just my two cents.

IF you really want to do this, consider doing a full up performance build.  To do the cylinder and sleeve work they are going to pull the crank and other cylinders anyways....perfect time for ceramic coated domes, and other performance goodies to run big power.

Thank you for your advice.  I am looking at used engines as an option to putting a sleeve in the current engine.  It seems that there are two different 2008 4.8 engines without turbo per www.car-part.com.  In the VIN number, the fifth digit is either B or D.  Do you know what the difference is?  The car I am looking at has the B engine.  Is it possible to install a D engine in a car originally equipped with the B engine?

Best regards,

my guess is one is the standard V8 and the other is shte GTS/Transyberia......which came with 405hp.

The swap, i'm guessing, is going to require the correct ECU with engine, not to mention the immobilizer will need to match, meaning the cluster and whatever "porsche stuff" is used

You then also have to realize the flywheel and pressure plate/clutch will need to be exchanged for the starter wheel and torque converter setup.

Long story, probably easier to find the correct V8.

My independent Porsche garage is quoting me $6,000 to repair the engine.  That includes removing engine, tearing down, installing eight new sleeves in the eight cylinders, one set of rings for one new piston, reassembly, and re-install engine in car.  Based on that quote, I believe that the dealer's $14,500 asking price is too high.  Would it be a good deal at $8,000?

Best regards,

• Moderators

My independent Porsche garage is quoting me $6,000 to repair the engine.  That includes removing engine, tearing down, installing eight new sleeves in the eight cylinders, one set of rings for one new piston, reassembly, and re-install engine in car.  Based on that quote, I believe that the dealer's $14,500 asking price is too high.  Would it be a good deal at $8,000?

Best regards,

It might, but I seriously doubt the dealer will give you a nearly 45% discount off the asking price for an already discounted vehicle.  They are in the business of making money; if you don't take it at a price somewhere near the asking number, they will simply say no and wait for another less informed buyer to come along, or in the worst case wholesale auction the vehicle to unload it on another dealer.  They have multiple options to unload it and still turn a profit without going in the toilet on the asking price.

• Moderators

You are probably right.  It is a shame that Porsche did not get the clearances right in the Cayenne V8 engine.  They are attractive cars for many reasons, but the cylinder scoring is a problem in northern climates.

Best regards,

Cylinder scoring is more than a matter of clearances, there are other, more prevalent factors involved.