Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Clutch and Flywheel Recommendations

Hi everyone

My clutch and flywheel are done they need to be replaced so I went through Pelicanpart.com and a lot of choices are there from oe clutch and flywheel to upgraded parts and I will be going for the clutch super kit as I want to change everything. so I want your opinion guys on having everything oe or to switch to upgraded parts? 

I was thinking of having the lightweight aluminium single mass flywheel and one of the spec clutches which comes in different stages, any thoughts on this? and which stage should I go for? I was thinking something like stage 2+ or stage 3. I need something that is long life and withstand harsh and hard driving.

Many thanks

I agree with stock...on the flywheel in particular.  The dual mass flywheel has a purpose in the engine tuning characteristics and changing to a single lightweight flywheel will result in performance factors that may not be easily sorted.  I figure Porsche engine designers got this right.

• Moderators

This is what can happen with a light weight flywheel:

Borkencrank_zps784a8d0d.jpg

Aside from the noise and chatter, the lightweight flywheel cannot absorb the harmonic forces that the dual mass is there for, and the cranks do not like that.  As for the clutch, the standard clutch is all you really need, it is what we put in our customer's cars.

Thanks guys for the information it is really helpful I will be going for the oe stuff for sure. 

Here is a link to what I am planning to get for my car:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/0905/POR_0905_TCLUTC_pg1.htm#item0

Any add up needed on this super kit? recommendations please 

Also regarding the IMS thing is it recommended to change it? and which type should I go for? as I have seen there are the Single and the double. My car is 2001 3.4L

Many thanks

• Moderators

Thanks guys for the information it is really helpful I will be going for the oe stuff for sure. 

Here is a link to what I am planning to get for my car:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/0905/POR_0905_TCLUTC_pg1.htm#item0

Any add up needed on this super kit? recommendations please 

Also regarding the IMS thing is it recommended to change it? and which type should I go for? as I have seen there are the Single and the double. My car is 2001 3.4L

Many thanks

Depends upon your budget and which style IMS is in the car.  An '01 car probably is a single row, but there is still a chance it could be a dual row, when you take it apart you will be able to see the rear IMS flange which will identify which one is in the engine.  There are no lists of VIN's or any other data that will tell you this, you have to look.  If it is a single row, my first choice would be the LN IMS Solution; cost more, but is a permanent fix.  Second choice would be the new LN IMS Pro dual row replacement for the single row bearing.  If it is a dual row factory bearing, the LN dual row has proven to be a bullet proof replacement.

I concur with JFP. If you have the transmission out you should do the IMS. As JFP stated you need to check the IMS flange as my '01 3.4L has a dual row. I replaced mine during a clutch/RMS replacement with the LN dual row and have put 30k miles on with confidence.

. I need something that is long life and withstand harsh and hard driving.

Many thanks

Not sure if the 3.6 had a different clutch, but my stocker won't take many launches before it starts slipping. Have to give up a few tenths with a gentle launch at autox after one or two good hard launches. Depending on your definition of "hard driving" might want to look at something stronger.