Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2008 997.1 C4S Coupe Leaking Sunroof Drains - Headliner Removal Help

Greetings guys.  We've had a pretty substantial amount of rain here in PA today.  When I had my Porker out to run some errands I noticed that there was some water dripping from my headliner at the back of the headliner.

After I got home, I dried off the roof of the car to have a look around.  For the most part, the sunroof tray wasn't too drenched.  But, when I poured a small bit of water down the back of the sunroof to see if the drains were blocked, an interesting thing happened.  

Some water came out the drains properly, and some stayed in, wetting the headliner some more.  I assume that I'll have to pull the headliner out to adequately check and repair the problem (I'm assuming either partially blocked, clogged, or damaged drain tubes.  

That said, I've searched high & low to find some instructions or info about how to pull the headliner so I can get eyes on the problem.  Unfortunately, I've come up with nothing.  Ideally, I could just disconnect the rear portion of the headliner and get this taken care of. 

Any ideas, or photos or how-tos that anyone could point me towards?  I don't like the idea of a leaky roof and I really don't want any problems that could arise as a result...

Thanks Much

Eric

So here's what I ended up doing...

To get the C-Pillar loose:

1. Remove the coat hooks at the top of the B-Pillar by prying outward from the bottom.
  2. Unscrew both the Philips & Torx screws holding the coat hook's mounting point and remove.
  3. Lower seat belt adjusters all the way to the bottom of the B-Pillar.
  4. Pull top of B-Pillar out from the top (it will be loose).
  5. Grasp the C-Pillar trim at its forward end (the end that was concealed by the coat hook) and grasp from the top of the trim approximately 4" - 6" back.
  6. Pull until you think something is going to break.
  7. Pull some more.  The clips will disengage and the trim panel will come loose.

To get the rear section of the headliner loose:

1. Feel around for the hard plastic border that forms the rear edge of the headliner.  Locate the forward edge of this piece.
  2. Starting from either the right or left side of the car, push upward and back on the plastic piece.  You will hear what sounds like fabric or glue separating, don't worry about it.  That sound is only the sound damping padding flexing.
  3. As you push the piece towards the rear of the car, it will start to come loose and you'll see that it attaches via plastic tabs into metal tabs in the roof.
  4. Keep going until you reach the side of the car opposite where you started.  The back section of the headliner will now be free.  This exposes the rear drain tubes from the sunroof tray.

I hope this might help someone at some point.  If it's a bit basic, or has been posted before, my apologies.

Thanks

Eric

• 6 months later...