Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Will a 2003 Turbo tail fit 2000 model c2?

Not a chance it will fit.  You will have to go aftermarket.

Actually LVDell, PRH is correct.

Over on 6Speedonline, one owner took a factory Turbo lid and customed it onto a narrow body car. Why? Because he was also able to maintain electronic control over raising / lowering the wing just like a factory Turbo.

None of the aftermarket tails are electronic...they must be raised / lowered by hand.

Take a look at their latest 996 forum discussions for info & pic's. :cheers:

No way. Unless you're willing to cut sheet metal.

I bought an OEM Turbo tail and decklid with hydraulics complete for the C4s, but quicly found out that the part right below the backlight before the rising wing is different in height between a normal C2/C4s and the Turbo (where the 3rd light is). On the C2 variants, that part is much taller (maybe due to the need to accomodate the 3rd brake light). There is no such beast on the Turbo as its third brake light is on the secondary wing.

And unfortunately, this part on the C2/C4s is metal. And it's not bolted, but welded, so you'd wind up spending over $1K to affix a wing.

Oh, and even though the turbo wing provides downforce (I think something like 30lbs), you'd have to lower the front end to balance out the aero, either with a GT3 type lower lip or physically lowering the car and adding sideskirts, aka Aerokit.

With all due respect to the naysayers, it CAN (and has) been done. Scouser didn't say anything about not wanting to cut metal or cost...he simply asked if it was possible. IT IS.

Don Relentless posts & pics are a factory turbo tail w/strosek wing (and working eletronics). Highly customised (read:$$$$) but "do-able" nonetheless.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/showthr...&threadid=24039

When someone asks if something can be done, I provide info and let them decide if its something they want to pursue. This mod probably isn't cheap or easy but that's for Scouser to decide.

Go for it Scouser...what's the use of doing customized mods if they don't make your car unique! :jump:

Edited by Gator996

Gator, you must be a lawyer b/c only that answer you gave would be what I call a technicality. Listen, ANYTHING can be done.

If somebody posts that they want to know if they can convert their 986 into a 996 are you going to say yes? Of course, b/c with enough money anything is possible. But does it make sense? Of course not.

And by the way, porschebabe and robyn have mk2 wings. And the wing that porschebabe has is one that had the pillars cut down so the CAB surround would still clear the wing. Also, DR didn't say what kind of custom job had to be done on that turbo wing other than it was custom.....hence, it doesn't fit.

FYI...Berny didn't say "at any cost" he asked if it fit.

Come on Gator....Anybody can get a square peg into a round hole but at what cost?

LVDell

Nobody here knows what the cost of a conversion is for someone else. Who knows, maybe Scouser got a Turbo tail for free so he's willing to invest in the cost of customizing it. All he asked was CAN it be done, and if so how. :huh:

I did the Turbo facelift for far less than many people post because I hooked up a couple of deals on the fenders & bumper, reworked the stock wire harness, etc...Should I have been told it can't be done or that its not worth the trouble? Who determines what too expensive to be considered or attempted? Please take a look at your response. :eek:

As far as jyoteen, at least he posted what he knew was involved in attempting the conversion. Roughly a $1,000 for install? Seems reasonable since the aftermarket Turbo bumpers cost over a grand new and don't have working electronics. :cursing:

When people post questions here, how about we just give them the info or a source where they can get it. Rather than attempt to decide what's reasonable for someone to do to their car.

Gator is now leaving the soapbox.... :soapbox:

And no, I'm not a lawyer... :o

...but I've been known opine from time to time! B)

Edited by Gator996

Doing to front Turbo conversion is much different than the rear. At least in the front we know that the turbo front will fit unless you have a 99-01 996 then you know you need fenders and lights. Berny asked if the tail will fit. It doesn't. I guees we are caught in a game of semantics here. Either way, good info from all.

BTW, your soapbox is much more polite than most. Thanks for engaging in a healthy debate versus attacks. See you on the next thread :)

It's all good. :cheers:

Cheers,

Dell

Edited by LVDell

relax. I was just being a smartass.

I secured a Turbo OEM Speed Yellow painted Tail with the hydraulics for $700 off ebay, so I was figuring it'd take at least $1K to do the install if it involved any bit of modification to that metal strip + paint.

There are mods that are worth the money in my book and ones that aren't, and there's a cost associated that goes over that magic checkpoint of feasability. Unless you have endless funds, I'm not so sure it's 'worth' it. That's all. :D