Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)
Sign in to follow this  
csgoodman

Reading Tiptronic Codes

Hello, I am new to renntech.org and hope I am posting in the correct area.

I recently acquired a 2001 boxster 2.7L with the tiptronic. Once my car gets up to temp the "D" and "4" begin to flash in an alternating pattern. The shifting or driving characteristics do not change and no CEL light appears. I have read many threads on this topic as to what could be causing it. The flashing lights typically do not last very long. I am trying to figure out how to check for any tiptronic codes it may have. I have a wireless scan tool I use with my iPhone (dash command app). I do not believe this method will allow me to read any tiptronic codes if any. 

My questions are: 1. If I have the flashing "D" and "4", shouldn't it give a code? 2. Is there any tools out their that will read such codes or do I need access to a Durametric tool? 3. Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Chris

Chris:

I had a scenario at an autocross where the tiptronic went into limp mode and I had no gears. After it cooled off, the gearbox started working normally. It ended up being one of my front cooling fans was out. Seems fine now.

John

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Angel Martin
      I need to replace the ATF wiring harness in my 2002 986 w/ tiptronic due to a defective temperature sensor that forms part of it. I have been unable to find any information as to what it entails and / or how it can be replaced.   Appreciate any insight. 
    • By Branko Ljubetic
      Hi. Im new in this forum, and i registered search for help, so thanks in advance.

I bought a 97 boxster tiptronic, with no issues at all. Scanned, everything was ok. Then i started to read about the model, and i was concerned about de IMS, so i replaced it with parts from Pelican. I took the oportunity to drain the torque converter and replace fluid (filters gaskets also) on the tiptronic transmission. Then my mechanic built everything, and the lights on the gear and lever on the panel were blinking. Also cant use "manual mode" nor the 5th gear. He checked everything, but the problem are still there. 

Searched on the interenet, seems to be something called "limited driving programme" where the transmision limits itself in event of a failure. On the internet also i found most of time is related with transmision servicing, but i changed all fluid (torque converter including).

I used the recomended ATF by manual (pentosin) and changed filter, gaskets from ZF (the transmission manufacturer).

Sadly, i live on a small city in Northern Chile, almost 2000km from a Porsche authorized mechanic in capital, Santiago, so its not an option to take the car there.

My mechanic here is a really honest guy, but he seems to not understand this transmission. I dont know what to do, but ill scan the car in a few hours.

Any advice will be hughely appreciated guys. Thanks a lot.

Branko
    • By TNT79Bronco
      I need some help reconnecting the vacuum hoses on my '03.  Had to remove tiptronic to repair it, and either have a broken vacuum hose, and/or am as lost as I can be.  I can't figure it out.   Here is the vacuum diagram from the trunk.  Part of the problem is, that I can't identify all the parts.

The "white" connector goes into the intake.  Off of that is a "Y".  The "Yellow" line (vacuum hose) goes nowhere that I can tell.  I am sure it connects somewhere, I just can't tell where.  It is long.
      The "Pink" end of the "Y" is open.  I am sure something sticks in there, just not too sure what.
      The "Green" line (vacuum hose) connects to what I believe is the Resonance Flap Valve.  However, it is either broken (and connects with the "Blue" line (vacuum hose)), or inserts into the "Pink" end of the "Y".  Not too sure which.

The other end of the "Blue" line (vacuum hose) connects to a 4 way "Cross fitting", that connects to the vacuum reservoir.  Shown as connection #1 below.
      I guess the upper end of the "Blue line" (vacuum hose) could connect to the "Pink" arm of the "Y".  Again, not too sure.
      It is entirely possible, that the "Blue" and "Green" line is a broken line.  If this is the case, not too sure what would plug into the "Pink" on the "Y".

#2 "White" line (vacuum line) attaches to a switch, that I believe is associated with the tiptronic transmission.  The lower end of the hose connects to the "Cross" fitting that is by the vacuum reservoir.
      The "Purple" line (vacuum line) is attached to a valve that controls coolant that goes to the tiptronic.
      #3 Line disappears somewhere deep into the engine somewhere.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

• By TNT79Bronco
      I had a bearing/seal failure in my 2003 Boxster w/ Tiptronic, and need to replace the torque converter and the oil pump.  I have removed the transmission from the car and taken off the pan, filter, torque converter, and the control valves.  I have also removed all the bolts from front of the oil pump housing.  In online videos, they show two plastic tubes that need to be removed, before the pump will pull out.  These were on ZF5HP19 transmissions for BMW and other cars.  However, the Tiptronic  for our cars, Boxsters, is a ZF5HP19FL.  A slightly different monster.

When I try to pull on the oil pump, to remove it, it doesn't budge. I don't want to go forcing it, without knowing the proper steps to remove it.

Does anyone know the proper steps to remove the oil pump?

• By SteveTTT
      Can anyone offer advice on this please. The car is a recent purchase, 2002 4S Coupe with 92k miles. Drove fine for the first month, but now a whining noise sounds as if it’s is coming from somewhere behind the dash/firewall/front axle area. The whine varies with engine speed/gear selection, so it presumably can’t be from the tiptronic transmission or front axle otherwise it would vary with road speed. However, the noise completely disappears when the a/c blower is turned off. I’m not great on electrics but was wondering if the blower fan might be failing and needing more alternator output at higher revs? I haven’t noticed anything untoward on the voltmeter. The a/c needs a re-gas, but I can’t think that can have any relevance? Any thoughts much appreciated.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.