Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

3.4 motor swap in a 1998 Boxster

Ahsai/ Loren,

Finally got the motor in the car and started it up today....major mile stone.

I had my DME re-flashed with a ROW flash.  Am running CAT by pass pipes with no muffler as of yet.

Put the boxster 2.5 pre-CAT oxygen sensors on the by-pass pipes.

No seats in car yet.

Motor started right up...at idle ...NO FAULTS !!!

blipped the throttle a few times and got the following FAULT CODES:

P1319

P1318

P1317

P0300

P0306

P0305

P0304

P0150

I am only guessing......... I have a bad Oxygen sensor in bank 2 (4,5,6)

Cleared faults...and again at idle, it caused no fault code.   gave it some revs. and same codes as above showed up. 

Any thoughts?

Pictures and writ-up to follow.

Thanks,   Bob

post-91161-0-72023000-1416103509_thumb.ppost-91161-0-72023000-1416103509_thumb.ppost-91161-0-24703900-1416103606_thumb.jpost-91161-0-71783200-1416103795_thumb.jDME is 5.2.2 from the 2.5 Boxster

Intake and throttle body is from the 996 Carrera

Air filter box is from a 987 but converted to fit in the 986

3 1/2 inch silicon piping runs from air filter to throttle body

MAF is stock from the 996 with the 3 inch 987 tub that holds the 996 MAF

MAF is located approximately 6 inches from the throttle body opening.

oxygen sensors are the stock 2.5 oxygen sensors

• 4 weeks later...

Do u fix it yet?

I remember that I had to play with different value resistors attached in line with the MAF to eliminate some of this errors. Had to use the Durametric to get it right - basically to compensate for a different size intake from what the computer expected - the brain was a 996 original for the 3.6

• 1 month later...

I am curious as to why you didn't do the 3.6 swap like Tholyoak??  Also, is Tholyoak still around and does he do swaps for cash????  Oh, by the way, I am new to the 986 forum, but I have had by 986 for over a year and love it.  Its just a stock 2.5 with a shift kit (TIP) and it is the funnest car I have ever driven....I laugh every time I get on the highway and drive from Long Beach to Downtown LA.....weeeeeee all the way down the 110.......I wreck this thing occasionally and rebuild it and it just comes back better than before....going to get it out of the shop, and I can't wait.......Hoping to do a big motor swap....Does anybody know if you can drop a 3.8 in a 1998 and use the standard 5 speed tiptronic????????  Thanks for any input.....I really proud to be a member of the 986 Forum.....

Auf Duetsch

• Moderators

I am curious as to why you didn't do the 3.6 swap like Tholyoak??  Also, is Tholyoak still around and does he do swaps for cash????  Oh, by the way, I am new to the 986 forum, but I have had by 986 for over a year and love it.  Its just a stock 2.5 with a shift kit (TIP) and it is the funnest car I have ever driven....I laugh every time I get on the highway and drive from Long Beach to Downtown LA.....weeeeeee all the way down the 110.......I wreck this thing occasionally and rebuild it and it just comes back better than before....going to get it out of the shop, and I can't wait.......Hoping to do a big motor swap....Does anybody know if you can drop a 3.8 in a 1998 and use the standard 5 speed tiptronic????????  Thanks for any input.....I really proud to be a member of the 986 Forum.....

Auf Duetsch

First, welcome to RennTech :welcome:

I believe you will find that Todd relocated to Canada some time ago.

With enough time, money, and welding equipment; you can put just about anything in there.  We had a customer doing a 996 Turbo engine transplant into a 986.  Long before he was even close to being running, he had spent more than a new Turbo car costs.

It all depends upon where your head is at..................

Thanks for the welcome JFP....I love my car and really enjoy tinkering with it.  I had no idea when I bought it how fun it would be...I am aware that money will buy you almost anything, but I don't waste money...I do the little things on my car and have my mechanic buddy help me with engine works.  We will be upgrading this motor to a 3.6 or 3.8 and won't be breaking the bank...we already have a 3.6 and 3.8 ready to go....I am just trying to figure out what I am gonna drive for fun when the car is getting upgraded.....I think you could put a TT in these cars, but I am not about to lose my trunk space like some guys do...That is where I put my pizza to keep it warm when I get a thin crust to take home.  I hope to see Tholyoak around, I love reading his swap postings.  I have learned a lot from them...I guess its about time to pull out the ole 2.5.  I plan on rebuilding it and keeping it well preserved for future transfer back into the car if so desired.  You never know what people will want to buy in the future.  2.5s that nobody wants now may be all the rage when one of my kids has this old Boxster.....plus, the PCA events with the 2.5s are very interesting and very challenging for the drivers of these cars.  I learn something new every time I go out to the track.  I will be glad when our new 53 acre Porsche Center will be ready here in LA County in the city of Carson.  It will have 7 premo tracks for working on driving skills....I hope to see you out there when it gets finished later on this year.  again thank you for the warm welcome.  I will see you out on the track, hopefully, soon

KK