Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Replacing a Leaking Turbocharger

Clarksongli, I am pretty impressed that you were able to figure out how to remove the turbo without dropping the engine. Kudos to that.  What was going on with your turbo that prompted you to undertake the removal?

Now if SpawnyWhippet can get a DIY together.

Thanks very much for that helpful advice clarksongli. OK, so I am going to give this a go. My left turbo is cracked, so I ordered the cheapest used one off fleabay for $350 shipped and had it re-manufactured by Turbo Park for $390.

My parts guy at the local stealership said I also need the following:

Left reman turbo                             948-123-016-56                 $790

1x o-ring                                          999-707-544-40.                $2.64

3x seal rings                                    900-123-131-30                 $2.64 each

1x rubber o-ring                               999-707-387-40                 $1.07

1x rubber o-ring                               999-707-392-40                 $2.64

5x seal rings                                    900-123-005-30                 $1.07 each

1x exhaust gasket                            955-111-113-20                 $12.02

1x exhaust gasket                            955-111-113-10                 $14.29

8x hexagon nut                                N-908-946-02                     $0.81 each

1x exhaust gasket                            948-123-203-52                 $13.28

1x green o-ring on pressure pipe    955-110-720-00                 $4.61

Altogether I am down $800 in parts, which beats the $7k my stealer is quoting (so long as it all goes together OK).

step2b_zpsuceeugjn.jpg

Edited by SpawnyWhippet

• 2 weeks later...

So I have all of the turbo disconnected and all bolts out except 1 pipe which is preventing the turbo coming out - the one beneath the turbo. Any ideas how to undo this while the engine is still in the car?

turbo_anatomy_4_zpspnt6vbst.jpg

So I am thinking of cutting this bottom pipe and making a union. This would make it far easier to remove the old turbo and install the new one. Question is, what kind of union is available to make a good, re-connectable joint here?

turbo_pipe_cut_zpsrwnqm9ck.jpg

Edited by SpawnyWhippet

Some progress. I cut the lower oil pipe to the turbo which allowed me to lift it far enough to unbolt the remaining bit of pipe from the turbo with a box wrench.

The turbo is now entirely free, but it will not fit through the gap at the front, it is just too big. I am now going to try to remove it from below by taking out the primary catalytic converter exhaust pipe.

Turbo is wedged in at this point, between the exhaust manifold, engine block and side bulkhead.

turbo_stuck_in_gap_zpstcmyec7c.jpg

Edited by SpawnyWhippet

Looks like I will have to admit defeat,even when dismantled the turbo housing is too big to come out the front or the rear gap of the engine bay. I have no idea how clarksongli did this without removing the engine or exhaust manifold, which itself looks like an engine out job.

turbo_jammed_zpsbcdveuvz.jpg

Edited by SpawnyWhippet

With some mechanical butchery to the old turbo, releasing the engine mounts and jacking the engine up as far as it can go, I hacked enough off the old turbo to wedge it out the front gap. This is very much not recommended, and the turbo is certainly at least an inch bigger than the gap it has to come out of. Now working on a way to insert the new turbo, but it looks tough or impossible. I could make it easier by removing the exhaust manifold now, but I don't think there would be a way to reinstall it when the turbo is in place, as the rear bolts would not be accessible.

Can anyone recommend a good independent near the Bay Area peninsula who could finish this at a reasonable price?

Edited by SpawnyWhippet

• 3 years later...

I managed to complete the job, but it was not easy.

RENNLIST.COM

DIY Submission Forum - DIY to replace Cayenne turbo without dropping engine - I am writing this DIY as I couldn’t find anywhere that described how to DIY a left turbo replacement on a 2005 Porsche Cayenne Turbo, and all the mechanics I spoke to said the drivetrain must be dropped out the car to do...