Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Coolant expansion tank overflow/ bleed off location? Head gasket?!

Where does the overflow tube dump? I've been experiencing a coolant leak (intermediatly not constant) from the right passenger wheel well (behind the wheel well(engine side)) and am trying to diagnose it. Seems to dump about a quarter to half a liter after I park the car. Ideas are as follows

A. Head gasket (don't know about the likelihood of that but any things possible)

B. Fracture in expansion tank

c. Loose connection to/from expansion tank

YES I REPLACED THE CAP

At this point I'm pretty sure the coolant pipes under the manifold are not involved. I cannot locate the leak from the top only the bottom see pictures. Possibly there is a loose connection under the CET and the fluid is running along the tube somewhere I can't see it??? Seems to leak only when the engine is up to temp and parked or stopped (in idle or off)... Any ideas? The engine has not been overheating as it is infrequently driven (20 miles per week) and kept under a sharp eye since this problem has come up.

The reason I said head gasket is because after a 15 minute drive today I parked the car ( with engine running in idle) and took off the fill cap after releasing pressure. I noticed the coolant was very high and slowly rising! Just before it overflowed an air bubble came up and the coolant level dropped by about 1 inch... However it was still far above the max line.

Aware of the leak I checked it before the drive (engine cold) and added about 1L of fluid to bring the level back up to just below the "max" line.

Could a blow head gasket force air into the coolant system, BUT NOT show water in the oil? I don't see any noticeable performance difference,nor any symptoms of a blown HG... Wtf man...

The coolan can be seen dripping from the area around the silver bolt within the suspension and falling around the front right passenger wheel spindle.

post-98626-0-10275400-1419059920_thumb.j

Edited by thatguynikko

• Moderators

here is a short video I just took explaining symptoms im having

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5O222V5oP4&list=UUvWuvTfT1078JSLboEHbqMQ

I see nothing unusual in that video; the coolant in the tank appears to be expanding as it heats up - completely normal.  Water vapor from the exhaust - again normal in cool or cold weather.  If you had coolant entering the exhaust system, you would not be able to see the rear of the vehicle for the steam (a couple of drops of water makes gallons of steam).

Porsche uses a MLS style head gasket that is actually stronger than the engine castings, which is why they never fail.  Normally, when a Porsche starts leaking coolant into the combustion chambers, something has cracked.