Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Trunk lids

2001 Box S with dead battery.  Tried the alternate battery direct to fuse - nothing.  Pulled right inner fender liner to find emergency cable - missing. 

Before I cut off my lid, thought I would seek suggestions from those smarter than I.

• Admin

:welcome:

Before cutting anything (that is the very last resort).

Take the screws off the lower bumper cover mount and see if you can reach up in front of the latch and find the cable. There are plenty of descriptions here on removing the front bumper cover (though there are several screws under the front lid). But you should be able to loosen it enough to get your hand in there. ( http://www.renntech.org/forums/videos/view-5-porsche-996-986-front-bumper-removal/)

Worst case damage the bumper cover not the trunk lid - it will much less costly to replace and in some cases you can get enough access to trigger the latch behind it. Use lots of patience - it's like picking a lock blindfolded.

Good Luck!

Here is how I got access to my battery recently.  In a 2000 Boxster, the emergency cable came out of its holding bracket and was no longer functional.

I took off LEFT front wheel and removed plastic wheel liner.  The cable to open the front trunk is there.  It is similar to the old ten speed bicycle cables used for gears and brakes.

I located the cable and simply pulled on it stretching it to the side of the car and the trunk popped opened.  The credit for this belongs to someone else that I read somewhere online.

Good luck!

Edited by a99C4tip

Every time I just plugged a jump starter in the cigarette lighter to charge the battery a little . After 10 min had enough power to open the trunk. Make sure you reactivity the key first.

• 4 weeks later...

Bought the car cheap with bad motor and no rear window.  Removed wheels and found rear lid cable but front was just nowhere so cut a hole and removed the factory latch.  Installed an AeroCatch which I like better than the original.  Hood had a hail dent so will paint that in the spring.  Had to remove seats and carpet to dry it out but with that done, it is looking pretty good.  Opened up the Immobilizer which was UGLY after being wet for sometime.  Dried it an cleaned it up and it works!  Lights, horn, top and even got the engine start relay to talk to me. 

Motor comes out next....