Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Car:

1999 Boxster

stock "Radio Speaker Box" behind seats

Putting the top down last night and heard a loud pop. Top will not go down and dash light is on.  Checked the switch in the top latch and it is functioning.   Nothing when I press the convertible button.   I'm assuming an arm or cable broke.   I searched the forums and found some help but my question is a bit more basic before I see what is broken - how do I get to the parts!  

Top is up, clamshell is down.

Q:

1) Does the top need to be up or down ( or 1/2 way) to access parts?

2) If it needs to be down, how do I get it down?

3) When I installed new rear speakers in the speaker box, I needed the top 1/2 down to remove the box.

4) Anyway to open the clamshell manually?   (I read about removing some "clips" but not sure where they are.

All the pictures posted are close-ups...looking for something further back to understand how to access area.

Thanks,

Greg

You can remove these ads by becoming a Contributing Member.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Kevin Bryck
      Okay this is REALLY specific.
      The adjustable tension cable on the drivers side of my cabriolet disconnected at the top where it threads (8mm) into the top frame, not at the bottom where it snaps onto the ball.
      The is a larger diameter (10mm?) clean smooth painted hole where the cable needs to thread in, which leads to the presumption that there was a nut on the back side?
      Searched all over including removing driver's side rear 'door' panel and fishing around with a magnet but no loose nut found.
      Looks like getting to back side of this frame casting would entail a major disassembly of the cabriolet top frame?

Also, what does this clip that goes over hydraulic cylinder do?
      Right side clips is in place about halfway down length of cylinder.
      Left side clip was down around the base of the shaft.
      Replacing it where there appears to be a shiny spot looks like it would interfere with the cabriolet top potentiometer arm.
      Right cable threaded into frame at top
      Right cable threaded into frame at top
      Missing cable location
      Smooth clean painted hole in top frame where 8mm cable end is supposed to thread in
      Left cable
      Left upper cable end with 8mm thread
      Clip question
    • By Toyguy
      I just bought myself my first Porsche, a 1998 Boxster.  I have an issue with the soft top that I'd like to get some guidance on.

The top goes down smoothly with no issues.  It also comes up smoothly until it is nearly all the way up.  Just before the dashboard Top light goes out, there is a pretty sharp metallic twang or snap.  It did this when I was looking at the car before purchase, and it did it again this evening when I put the top up after driving the car home.  I'm assuming it's getting caught on something but I wonder if anyone might have suggestions on what to look at given the late point in the cycle where it occurs?

Thanks!
      Dave
    • By crwarren11
      Hi all,
      After 18yrs my convertible top has finally encountered its first issue.  After using this forum (thank you!!) to figure out how to access all of the components (top was stuck in closed position), I found the root of my issue, a bad cable.  However, as I was very carefully removing the cable from the transmission, the "clip" which is molded into the plastic cover cracked and is no longer functional (see image).  Not really surprising on an 18yr old piece of plastic.  The transmission works perfectly and I do not want to replace it, so I am looking for advice on any other ways that I can keep the cable properly engaged to the transmission.  Please let me know if anyone else has encountered this and if there are any viable solutions.  Thank you!

• By pk_99_986
      Hey 
      The convertible top on my '99 Boxster has been acting up for the past few years. Sometimes worked fine and other times wouldn't work at all. I had it looked at by my local shop and by my local Porsche service center. My local shop replaced the switch in the convertible top latch housing (a few years ago) and then the emergency break switch (a couple years ago). This didn't solve the problem. Then a couple of weeks ago the Porsche service center again replaced the emergency break switch, again not solving the problem. Over the past week or so the top had completely stopped working, but then this morning it was working again (intermittently). The tech at Porsche said that everything has been checked (relay, switches, etc.) so he suggests replacing the convertible top motor for approximately $2500. I'd appreciate insights from anyone that has been through this. I see quite a few posts re malfunctioning tops so any info will be helpful. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.