Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

3.6 engine tear down

pretty much. oil pressure was fine iirc

So there seems to be no warning. I guess we should also inspect the oil pickup screen at every oil change, maybe using an inspection camera via the drain hole if possible.

that would be pretty tough to do though. that pick up is close to the cover...don't know if you would ever get the right angle to properly see up the pick up. but yeah, I'll be taking it off every 5k to perform an inspection when it's back together.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll leave all that to LN Engineering. looking at this right now:

http://lnengineering.com/products/watercooled-cylinders-pistons/porsche-boxster-cayman-and-911-model-years-1997-2008/36-911-nickies-inc-96mm-fsr-je-piston-set-inc-rings-pins-clips.html

may go from a 3.6 to 4.0. still doing some homework. it's the same price, so why not.

I saw they have the 3.6->3.8L option but didn't see 4.0. Is it off the menu? :) Have you decided? If you go for cc increase, will you need new injectors and new DME tune or pretty much you can reuse everything stock (other than the pistons obviously)?

I don't think so. maybe I'm one of the last?? I'd be curious if so....they have my deposit already, so I hope I am getting the 4.0. lol

from what they told me, the porsche ECU is supposed to be able to compensate for the added displacement & my injectors are fine.

the lifters....should I be able to push the inside "piston" with relative ease? I believe these are activated with VC+.

still looking for an answer. some, I can push down with a pencil (eraser end), others are pretty tough to do.

and you had me worried so I checked and the option to go from 3.6 to 4.0 is still on the site

Sorry I missed that. You're right it's still there and now I'm really drooling :)

Good to know the stock DME and fuel injectors are fine.

The lifter should have a locking pin (#1 in the diagram) http://www.renntech.org/forums/uploads/downloadedimages/cs_variocam_plus_003.jpg

My understanding is with no oil pressure the pin is not engaged (pushed by spring #6) so you should be able to push in the center piston. The presence of oil pressure should move the pin sideways to lock the center piston to the outer lifter?

• 1 month later...

page 2 (on tapatalk) show the heads when I pulled them. I didn't snap pics when they came back from the engine builder/cleaner. the heads vacuum tested "excellent" according to them and should be good to put back in.

edit: just realized what youre asking. no, don't have any shots. need some?

Edited by AWDGuy

• 1 month later...

buying more parts this week and was looking at pelican and the timing chains...

is there a big difference between the IWIS chains and the porsche oe ones?

we're talking about $200 vs $55 price difference per chain here. that's significant savings for me. especially when you need to buy 2 of those chains...

• Moderators

buying more parts this week and was looking at pelican and the timing chains...

is there a big difference between the IWIS chains and the porsche oe ones?

we're talking about $200 vs $55 price difference per chain here. that's significant savings for me. especially when you need to buy 2 of those chains...

IWIS are suppliers to Porsche and many other OEM's: http://www.iwis.de/en/engine-systems/company/reference-customers/

• Moderators

so the timing chains I see on pelican showing Porsche as the maker are just IWIS chains?

Not necessarily, IWIS is one of a couple companies that supply Porsche, and I do not know which engines use what brand chains, but as with most OEM's, Porsche probably has at least two suppliers for every part.  There is also always a premium for any part that comes in a Porsche logoed box.  The same Bosch electronic part may cost $40 at a VW dealer, $35 online from a parts house, and $200 at a Porsche dealership.  That is just the way it is.

• 4 weeks later...