Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Move Steering Wheel warning and car won't start...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE:

Had battery charged professionally and its 100% in every category. So it's NOT the battery. My independent mechanic isn't reliable any more and the next go to guy has a 2 week backlog.

I can get free towing via USAA to the Porsche dealer. Diagnostic fee is 150, just a little bit more than towing to the only mechanic I know.

Sort of at a loss as to what to do and a little jaded as to the veracity of a dealer touching my car and telling me what I need to do as I'm not in the mood to buy a steering column for many thousands of dollars.

Fish or cut bait?

Well you have a problem and now you're 99% sure what it is. 

When this happened to me all we had was "change the batteries." Played around like you have and got really frustrated... But was always appreciative of people taking the time to provide some guidance on this site. 3 years ago no one had experienced this issue on this board. So on top of the expense of the fix and all of the batteries and all the other DIY exercise I went through I also spent over $2K JUST for diagnosis.

You really don't have much of a choice. Your 2004CTT is nearly worthless as it sits. Fix it - keep it, fix it - sell it, or part it out - sell it.

Edited by Pkscheldt

Try to smile more. Part is 1650 from Sonnen. Question is all new keys too? Labor must be hellacious. My beef with this sled is no iPod controller. Full leather, fast as ****, still awesome, mint interior, etc. Nothing out there I want. Might as well fix it.

Edited by ALEV8

Also could a recycled column be coded to fit my car or replace it with a manual column that's a third of the cost? Hmmmmm. Methinks fix and keep. There's nothing I want out there I can buy. I have almost nothing on this loan left.

Also could a recycled column be coded to fit my car or replace it with a manual column that's a third of the cost? Hmmmmm. Methinks fix and keep. There's nothing I want out there I can buy. I have almost nothing on this loan left.

Porsche has spoken!

STEERING COLUMN GEAR IS STRIPPED OUT. COLUMN WILL REQUIRE REPLACEMENT. STEERING COLUMN ECU IS BUILT INTO THE COLUMN AND DATA FROM WITHIN THE UNIT WILL NEED TO BE READ AND REWROTE INTO THE NEW ECU. STEERING ANGLE SENSOR WILL NEED TO BE CALIBRATED AFTER WORK IS PERFORMED. REPLACEMENT IS THE COLUMN IS GOING TO REQUIRE REMOVAL OF THE LEFT SIDE CATALYST.

A used unit will not work and you only need to have the existing keys on hand as they sometimes need to be reintroduced to the vehicle when the new column is programmed. To calibrate the steering angle sensor you only need drive the vehicle in a straight line a few meters. The catalyst doesn't need to be removed to replace the column as you don't even need to touch the exhaust system at all.

Porsche has the car and it's 100% the steering column lock stuck in the middle position. Apparently SUV won't start unless unlocked. After yanking the wheel as hard as possible I broke the gears in the column as well. So in addition it's stripped. Porsche states new column computer must have data transferred to new column computer and steering angle calibrated. Key to their huge labor bill is removing the left cat...an alignment for 4x normal price on the street and something else. Parts wasn't all that much more than Sonnen but labor is $1400. Porsche also offers a manual column which is 400$. I asked if that's an option plus a new master key.

Just spoke to service and I'm skipping the manual as there's enough fiddling wih the old column to still spend a chunk of time and money on it with less benefit.

I don't want another car and I'm close to paid off.

Next are new valve stem seals on the x5....

Next car is a project 911 after my 76 Landcruiser is done.

Edited by ALEV8

Let the OPC install the unit, if anything goes south the liability is on them but I would inquire why they want to remove the catalytic convertor. Is there a indy near you that has experience with the Cayenne and the factory scan tool?

Thanks for this post. I received the Move Steering Wheel warning with a clicking sound in the column.

I removed the battery and had it tested at a station - it was very good. 

I then took a print of this message thread when I towed the car to my Porsche indy. They had it for a number of days. The hold up apparently was reprogramming with the key. Cost was about $1800 all-in for the column and labor. They only charged me 6.5 hours. Unfortunately they scratched the hell out of the surrounding dash on the remove and replace of the column, the wheel is off center and the airbag, horn and center buttons were not reconnected. Very surprised at the sloppy job and that they let me drive it away. 

Update:

3200$ later I have one orgasmically nice new steering column and three tire patches. It moves zip ,zip perfectly like a brand new one should.... I got my car back. And, they loved seeing an 04 in beautiful shape at the dealer!

Edited by ALEV8