Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

HELP! 2010 Panamera S Coolant blew out engine Temperature high!  NEED ADVICE!

Hi everyone,

I need some serious help…

I was driving my 2010 Panamera S V8 around 4-6000RPM for about 5-10 mins and I saw the engine temp went pass the middle line. Soon later I smelled coolant from the inside.

Following messages were immediately displayed: “check coolant Level”, “Engine Temperature high”, “Temperature sensor failed (something like that)”

I then shut down the engine after 1 minute or 2.

I opened up the hood and see coolant everywhere in the engine bay, it was even shot out of the hood.

Coolant looks more like came out of the front of the engine bay but I do not see anything hose or radiator failure by visual inspection.

I towed the car back and I removed the engine cover. I refilled more coolant from the reservoir with engine off, after 2 and half gallon it started leaking again and it is from the little hole on the bottom of where the engine and transmission mounted together.  See picture attached.

Leak%20hole%202_zpsxs5nwzhb.jpg
Leak%20hole_zpsuqzatojx.jpg

The engine would turn on fine and there is no abnormal reaction. However, the temperature reading will be pointing at the highest spot at all time.

I am wondering if anyone has an idea of what is going on.

I want to take care of it myself, but I would like to get some advice and guidance from an expert before jump right into it.

I have a lot of questions in mind. What might be the causes? What parts do I need to replace? What are inside the transmission bell housing with coolant?

Also if anyone knows any Porsche Technician around Los Angeles area who would advise me will be super helpful and I am willing to pay a price for the help and guidance.

Thank you all for taking time read my post.

Edited by Samuelkurt0383

• Moderators

HELP! 2010 Panamera S Coolant blew out engine Temperature high!  NEED ADVICE!

Hi everyone,

I need some serious help…

I was driving my 2010 Panamera S V8 around 4-6000RPM for about 5-10 mins and I saw the engine temp went pass the middle line. Soon later I smelled coolant from the inside.

Following messages were immediately displayed: “check coolant Level”, “Engine Temperature high”, “Temperature sensor failed (something like that)”

I then shut down the engine after 1 minute or 2.

I opened up the hood and see coolant everywhere in the engine bay, it was even shot out of the hood.

Coolant looks more like came out of the front of the engine bay but I do not see anything hose or radiator failure by visual inspection.

I towed the car back and I removed the engine cover. I refilled more coolant from the reservoir with engine off, after 2 and half gallon it started leaking again and it is from the little hole on the bottom of where the engine and transmission mounted together.  See picture attached.

leak%20hole%202_zpsxs5nwzhb.jpg
leak%20hole_zpsuqzatojx.jpg

The engine would turn on fine and there is no abnormal reaction. However, the temperature reading will be pointing at the highest spot at all time.

I am wondering if anyone has an idea of what is going on.

I want to take care of it myself, but I would like to get some advice and guidance from an expert before jump right into it.

I have a lot of questions in mind. What might be the causes? What parts do I need to replace? What are inside the transmission bell housing with coolant?

Also if anyone knows any Porsche Technician around Los Angeles area who would advise me will be super helpful and I am willing to pay a price for the help and guidance.

Thank you all for taking time read my post.

From your description, I'm afraid this may not be a "DIY" project.  If coolant is leaking out of the bell housing area, the engine and transmission need to be separated and examined (both have coolant in them), which requires both some serious equipment (lift, possibly an engine cradle to lower the unit, etc.), and considerable Porsche specific technical knowledge.  I would recommend against running the car any further, and finding either a well equipped independent or a dealership in your area to assist you.

Welcome to the forum. As already said. This does not really sound like a "DIY" job.

What sounds strange is that even with the engine off you say it starts to leak from the hole between engine and transmission.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest porschesal

Look above the tranny in the back of the eng I bet the coolant is coming from higher up. You are going to need a vac assisted coolant bleeder to get all the air out of the system after you find where the leak is