Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Is it possible to drive a Porsche 911 (997) Carrera 4 in snow on stand

The snow would be about 3-4 inches deep on roads . The tyres are normal all year round tyres and not winter tyres. We don't swap tyres in England usually as the winters don't tend to be bad.

Any Porsche owners have experience of snow driving in a C4 on standard tyres?

2015 Latest Version Launch X431 Diagun Full Set OBD2 Diagnostic Tool +3 Year WRT
2015 Latest version! Multi-Language Software for your option!
100% New! High Quality!
Shipping 4-8 working days to Worldwide!
FREE Lifetime Update by email !
3 Year Warranty !

Edited by shawnbem

• Moderators

As Porsche's are equipped with performance "summer tires", we normally recommend against driving the cars on dry roads at temps below 40 F, simply because the tires have little to no grip on dry pavement in the cold.  If you are going to be using the car in snow and obviously lower temps, you need a second set of wheels and tires.

I once drove my 996 Turbo in a couple of inches of snow with standard summer tyres, and wouldn't recommend doing it regularly.  It is like having a snowboard on each corner.  I got a set of winter wheels and tyres for my Cayman, and put them on at the end of November and take them off on 1st March.  The tyres perform much better when the temperatures get below 7°C, which is quite often during that period.  We didn't get any significant snowfall last winter, but when we have had it in past years the winter tyres give you much more confidence - confidence that you are going to be able to get where you want to go, and that you can steer and stop a lot more safely.  Of course, it doesn't help with other idiots on the road who haven't a clue how to drive in bad conditions.......

For 3-4 inches of snow, you definitely need an extra set of tires suited for the elements.  On my C4S/TT I went with Blizzaks -- worked like a charm, the only thing that will stop you is if the snow simply gets too high since these cars sit so low/tight to the street.

You can pick up an extra set of wheels used for around $1K USD with some luck...if you get real lucky you could find them with snow tires already on them.  Driving even an AWD car, in low temps or with precipitation using a pure summer tire is a recipe for disaster.  If the cost of a new set of wheels plus tires seems prohibitive.....imagine how cheap it is compared to even a minor car accident.

Edited by Silver_TT

I have driven in winter with Pirelli P Zero tyres and have not had any problem in 12 Scottish winters with snow up to around 8" deep. Cars driven have been 996 C4 and 997.1 C4S. I now have a 997.2 Turbo but will fit winter tyres this time around to ensure I have traction due to the extra power. Tyres have had at least around 5mm of tread left, anything less would cause problems. Winter tyres will always be better than all year round and summer tyres.

You need to drive smoothly, with no sudden changes in speed or direction, using the gears to slow you down.