Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Leather finish on center console 2000 C2 cabrio w/68k miles

Problem is that original leather "patina" for better word has worn off center console, leaving somewhat sticky finish and uneven looks.  Used Lexol to no avail.  Contractor can "shoot" new patina but has anyone had similar problem and used some type leather product to remove stickiness and replace patina.  Thanks.

I've used Lexol for years, but it always seems to leave a sticky finish.  I just tried Pinnacle's Leather clean and conditioner, then used Maguire's Leather creme after the cleaning.  The Pinnacile's leather clean was pricey, $49.00.

I think there's a tenecey to just keeping using the conditioners without first cleaning the leather.  The above process left a rich dull shine on my black leather.

I think the issue that I have observed to most disappoint about the 2000 996's is the crummy finish on the center console. I had all the same problems you have and put up with them for years. Then, I ordered an exchange console from bumperplugs .com ... painted to match my metallic black exterior. The effect was amazing in my eyes, and significantly dressed up the overall look of my interior ... no longer making me feel it looked shabby.

How about some pictures of that amazing console...

Thanks,

I second that or simply one picture of both consoles side by each in the car.

My console is in sad shape as well (graphite grey).

Sorry, I don't have any pictures of the painted console. You can see plenty at the bumper plugs.com web site.

My interior is graphite gray, also. After 10 years, there was little about the cheap console covering that could be referred to as "leather". It was worn though in places and sticky everywhere.

I opted to use my exterior color ... black metallic ... on the console, and I think the contrast added a lot to the car's appearance.

BumperPlugs.com does great work - but with any painted service you need to care for it.

I agree that the work is great ... but I had a strange experience with the principal at bumperplugs. As is the norm, he sent me a painted console, and I removed mine to send to him as a core exchange. A few days later, I received a phone call from him, very excited, asking what in the world had happened to put my console in such bad shape. He even asked if there had been a fire in my car. He stated that it was unusable to him. I was completely bewildered. My car had been babied by me for years. No kids, no dogs, etc. As far as I could tell, the console I sent him was perfect except for the deteriorated surface coating. I told him all that, hoping that he had the wrong customer. No such luck. He stated he could not accept my console as an exchange, and would look around for another used one that he could buy on my behalf and send the bill to me. I wound up spending a good deal more than intended ... but I was in no position to argue since I already had his product installed in my car.

To this day I can't figure out what could have happened to my console core between my house and his office.