Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Just picked up a non-running 996; where to begin?

I think you are going to find that those that have acquired engine assembly tooling are not going to be interested in lending or renting them out.  You might want to search around as there have been posts concerning fabricating these and other Porsche specific tools.

Dang. Well if I don't find any volunteers by tomorrow I'll go ahead and order the Baum kit: http://www.toolsource.com/porsche-piston-driver-p-114349.html (and an endoscope!)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can warmly recommend Andonstar 2.0MP that has "HD" CMOS, the image quality is truly amazing and the price is around $60. With this you can even inspect individual pixels in Apple's retina screen. I bet you could inspect cracks and such with it. However it is bulky and has manual focus. It just fits through spark plug hole with self fabricated mirror setup but requires you to play a role of an surgeon.  For tougher angles and much smaller space you can purchase a general auto focus endoscope but the image quality is totally different even if they claim 2.0MP. Both these are USB which is handy for doing recordings to your laptop. From amazon you will get both under $100.

Thanks, Domiac! Amazon has a ton of them so it's nice to have a recommendation that stands out.

At this point the engine is fully disassembled. The IMS shaft completely separated on mine -- the interference fit between shaft and crank sprocket became so loose, they don't hold together whatsoever. This weekend I'll get to cleaning: cylinder head and pistons, primarily. Also need to replace the bent valves with fresh ones.

Currently the repair bill is around $3200. Honestly I'm shocked it's possible to spend this much in parts. The majority of that cost was to LN Engineering for a new shaft with bearing. The photos show the failed IMS, a chunk of aluminum missing from the case (no biggie  :eek: ) and the crankshaft bearing block.

Reassembly questions for the experts:

• What torques are people typically using for connecting rod bolts? I've read Porsche doesn't share this information.
  • What is the piston ring alignment? I read someone mention a 10-2 arrangement between the top two rings.

post-102693-0-23887700-1438780835_thumb.

post-102693-0-51108500-1438780839_thumb.

post-102693-0-40101500-1438780843_thumb.

all your spending is $3200?

consider yourself lucky.

I am rebuilding my engine also, I bought apr rod bolts on recommendation from lne as this is apprently another weak spot of the engine. apr publishes torque specs on their site.

http://arp-bolts.com/kits/ARPkit-detail.php?RecordID=1203

click on kit instructions

my new pistons from LNE came with ring instructions but I doubt that's universal. when I asked the other board about it, jake came in and said it's up to the engine builder really.

Edited by AWDGuy

I found the information on this site:  Link removed by moderator

Connecting rod bolts: 20Nm then 90 degrees

Couldn't find the piston ring alignment instructions.

Please do not post links to copyrighted materials, it is against forum rules.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Apologies for not keeping this thread updated with photos. I've done a poor job of photo-documenting. The engine is 95% buttoned up; I still haven't timed the cyl 1-3 side because I accidentally ordered the wrong exhaust camshaft sprocket.  :oops:

After splitting the cases, I cleaned out a bit more shredded aluminum carnage from the timing chain's path. I also found a couple pieces of chain link wedged in the oil pan's plastic. Reassembly of the engine was surprisingly easy -- I expected the wrist pin installation to be much more difficult than it was. I used the Baum tool to install the three wrist pins and three circlips. All pins and clips went in easily with no mishaps, and I was able to verify correct installation using a simple mirror. No endoscope required, so that will be going back to Amazon. Loctite 5900 created a nice seal between the engine cases, and valve covers. During timing, I could not manually loosen the intake camshaft adjuster bolt and had to use an electric Dewalt impact gun. I was not pleased with the fit of the camshaft alignment tool; it seems like the center region is too thick and it would not slip into place unless the camshaft journals were loose.

Getting the intake manifold back together wasn't bad either. I had labeled wires to help remember where things went. I used an engine hoist to slowly lower the entire intake manifold down to the engine to work with enough time and space.

In the end, this is the list of what I replaced:

• 7 valves and valve seals
  • Timing chain
  • Exhaust camshaft sprocket
  • Intermediate Shaft (replaced with LN Engineering upgraded shaft)
  • Misc seals and gaskets
  • Connecting rod bolts
  • 1x Scavenge oil pump

If anyone needs the Baum tool, shoot me an email or PM. It's for sale or rent. (After this weekend when I fire up the engine, of course :thumbup: )

Edited by Bay Arean

I think I'll let this video speak for itself...

The grinding noise we were hearing turned out to be from the power steering pump. It needed quite a bit more fluid than I had originally added as the lines filled.

Edited by Bay Arean

The engine is doing great! I've driven about 100 miles so far. Need to pile on the mileage to reset the OBD's readiness flags so I can get it California smogged in order to complete DMV registration.

In driving it I realize I have the following bugs to sort out:

• I get the ABS/PSM failure at highway speeds. From reading I may be able to fix this by cleaning the MAF, but more likely need to get a Durametric cable to pull the code. Ugh.
  • Brakes feel terrible. They don't have much strength. I suspect they may need to be either resurfaced or bled. The vehicle sat for ~6mo before I bought it, if that helps the diagnosis at all.

• Moderators

The engine is doing great! I've driven about 100 miles so far. Need to pile on the mileage to reset the OBD's readiness flags so I can get it California smogged in order to complete DMV registration.

In driving it I realize I have the following bugs to sort out:

• I get the ABS/PSM failure at highway speeds. From reading I may be able to fix this by cleaning the MAF, but more likely need to get a Durametric cable to pull the code. Ugh.
  • Brakes feel terrible. They don't have much strength. I suspect they may need to be either resurfaced or bled. The vehicle sat for ~6mo before I bought it, if that helps the diagnosis at all.

The brake hydraulic system may just need a complete flush, which if you are getting ABS/PSM faults, the Durametric system can help correctly activate during bleed process.

The brake hydraulic system may just need a complete flush, which if you are getting ABS/PSM faults, the Durametric system can help correctly activate during bleed process.

Hey JFP,,

The failure lights show up at highway speeds and not during braking, which led me to believe the problem is probably not inside the braking system. That's why I was thinking MAF or speed sensors. Does that make sense?

• Moderators

Hey JFP,,

The failure lights show up at highway speeds and not during braking, which led me to believe the problem is probably not inside the braking system. That's why I was thinking MAF or speed sensors. Does that make sense?

Perhaps, but even voltage spikes can trigger these MIL's, which is why you need a Porsche specific scan tool like the Durametric system to read the codes to see what is going on.

In an effort to improve the braking situation, first I manually bled the system the old fashioned way (without the Durametric tool). I also sanded the brake pads to roughen them up. The car had sat for ~6mo before I bought it, so the rotors were very rusty. I was concerned rust particles may have clogged up the pads and reduced their stopping power. Test drive showed huge improvement -- that problem is solved. Still have some rotor pulsing, so I will need to decide whether to invest in new rotors. Mine are too narrow to machine.

ABS/PSM failure still exists after cleaning all four ABS sensors and MAF sensor. I think there's not much alternative besides using the Durametric tool at this point.

I just got the code read thanks to a fellow member with a Durametric Pro. Code was 4340 - stop light switch. A very common issue on the forums. Next I'll research and see what other issues could cause this code to be thrown. In the PO's paperwork is shows a brake light switch having been replaced in Dec 2014 -- only two months before the engine blew up. Makes me wary that a new switch won't fix anything.

Is there any chance that the previous owner updated the rear wing brake light?  When I changed mine over to LED (before I added a load resistor) the PSM/ABS light would come on anytime my wing was raised (ie: highway speeds)

To test this theory I kept the speed under 75 on the way home so the spoiler never went up. Still threw the failures, so I think this rules out that theory?

This seemingly simple task has also been difficult. (This car never ceases to confuse me). I've driven probably 200 miles so far and the readiness flags still are not ready. After googling, I discovered I need to carefully follow the "OBD Drive Cycle" which looks like this:

Porsche 993 cycle

Remember:

The diagnostic checks above will be discontinued if:

1) Engine speeds exceed 3000 RPM

2) Large fluctuations in throttle position

3) Road speeds exceed 60 MPH

1) Start cold engine and idle for approximately 2 minutes, 10 seconds. This checks secondary air injection and evaporative leak detection systems.

2) Accelerate to 20-30 MPH and maintain steady speed for 3 minutes, 15 seconds. This establishes closed loop oxy-sensor operations, response times & switching times.

3) Accelerate to 40-60 MPH and maintain steady speed for 15-20 minutes. This evaluates catalytic converters while oxy-sensor response and switching times are checked.

4) De-accelerate and come to a stop. Idle for 5-6 minutes. This checks evaporative leak detection system.

I tried this today and successfully readied 1 of the 3 not-ready systems. Will try again tomorrow to see if I can knock out the last 2...

The first diagnostic was at the smog center; the technician told me 3 systems weren't ready. "Go drive around, at least 100 miles," he said. 200 miles later, here I am.

Next I used my buddy's USB "PCM Scan" tool. It allows you to see the readiness flags for each module, as well as pull trouble codes. It doesn't show any faults.

But I used a real Durametric to get the ABS/PSM fault code earlier today.

Edited by Bay Arean