Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Rust beginning to show on LT. front Wheel hub

Do you mean the rotor?  If so then you can get some kind of Zinc spray paint to paint them with.

Just did all four of mine. Had a lot of rust on the two rears but did them all to match. Sand the rotor "hats" with 100 grit sand paper and clean off the powdery residue it leaves. Mask off the drilled part of the rotors and the calipers with newspaper; I also put a small piece of tape over each of the lug bolt holes to keep paint out of the threads. Spray each hat with paint, either engine enamel or I used Rustoleum barbecue grill paint, something that will be heat resistent. I used grey which comes pretty close to the factory finish on the hats. Two coats. Looks great!

when I did my brake upgrade 14" stoptechs front, I replaced my rear rotors at the same time. I used packing tape to tape the rotor, and used a vht caliper paint to paint the hub. As mine were new, you might use brake cleaner, (I did this) to get all the crap off it and make sure there is nothing to inhibit adhering. After I did this, from reading on some other forum with great results, I baked it for 30 minutes in the oven. The fumes were terrible even using the exhaust fan and leaving the apt. for a while. The results are amazing though. By curing in the oven like that they are supposedly resisitant to everything now. They look amazing btw-

oh, btw since you said you have rust, don't use sand paper- use a wire brush, and the brake cleaner. There are different brushes start with a brass or softer first then if you reallly need it (doubtful) use a steel one. Clean with brake cleaner and then mask and spray. Take the rotor off the car btw! it is not worth the overspray possiblity, plus I baked mine :)

Thx...

Do you have any pics? Seeing rust on my wheel hub sort of bummed me out. How close was the color on the paint to the Porsche original gray?

Thx...

Jim

Jim-

Sorry no pix but I do remember finding a link on Rennlist to the complete process w/several pictures. The grey color was very close. It's funny - when there was rust you couldn't help but notice it but now that the hats are painted they are very inconspicuous.....blend right in. I suppose if you painted them guards red, it would be a different story! :D

Chuck

oh, btw since you said you have rust, don't use sand paper- use a wire brush, and the brake cleaner. There are different brushes start with a brass or softer first then if you reallly need it (doubtful) use a steel one. Clean with brake cleaner and then mask and spray. Take the rotor off the car btw! it is not worth the overspray possiblity, plus I baked mine :)

Thx for the tip...I don't know how my wife would take to me baking the hubs in the kitchen...

I think I'll take them down to a commercial painters and cure them down there.

Thx...