Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest
I've had my check engine light go on a few weeks ago and the code mentioned that the O2 sensors were running in limp mode causing the car to run rich.
After taking her into the shop they informed me they found a crack in my headers before sensor 1
and before the cats bank 2.
I've got a set of GMS Ceramic Coated Headers (Can be seen here: http://www.greenmotorsport.us/servlet/the-241/GMS-987-Cayman-fdsh-Boxster-fdsh-S-Sport/Detail )
The headers and cats are 1 piece and purchased 2 years ago.
What do you guys suggest I do?
1. Have GMS replace the headers under some sort of warranty?
2. Wrap the headers?
3. Have the ceramic coating grinded off the whole headers/cats, have the crack tig welded and put them back on?
4. Have the ceramic coating only grinded off where the crack is, have the crack tig welded, and put the headers back on?
5. Have the ceramic coating grinded off the whole headers, have the crack tig welded, have the headers wrapped, and then put them back on?
6. Have the ceramic coating grinded off the headers, have the crack tig welded and put them back on without any heat protection?
7. Have the ceramic coated grinded, have the cats cut off and eliminated, tig weld the crack and add an extension to the FVD exhaust.
8. Any other ideas?
Keep in mind this is my daily driver.
I am a new owner of a slightly modified 2003tt and love it. I bought it about 2 months ago and just last month the check engine light came on. I went and bought the durametric entusiast cable (which I read about here - thanks to everyone) and read a p1145. I watched the o2 sensors while the car was running and they seem good (voltage fluctuating and both bank 1 and bank 2 seem to have simular readings.) I did notice the sensors after the cat have spacers. (PPI didn't state that and I didn't know a thing about it until reading forums).
Anyway a long story short I was reading the maintenance records of the car and noticed one mentioned a small crack in the aftermarket header (oh yeah techart headers and exhaust and I believe k24 turbos and GIAC flashed) - anyway I looked and in the collector of the bank 1 header it looked like a small black line which I assumed might be the crack.
Would a crack in the header cause a P1145? Any other good checks? Car seems to run fine but rich at startup. Lots of power.
Any help would be great! Thanks all!