Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Non working coolant temperature gauge

We did an engine-transmission swap from a 2001 Boxster S into a 2000 Boxster S and the temp gauge is not working. Has been to two reputable Porsche shops and they were unable to get it to work. First shop verified that the sending unit was functioning and that the gauge did move. Tried swapping the 2001 instrument cluster and that did not work, said they are different. We get a red light at the gauge when the ignition is first turned on and it goes out when car in started. But no movement in needle on driving.

Has anyone had similar problem and any suggestions on a fix would be appreciated.

George

Loren is usually right, so with great reluctance I have to respectfully disagree.

I don't think a 2001 cluster will work in a 2000 Boxster.  There are two styles of cluster in the 986's.  An "early" and a "late" style.  The 1997-00 Boxsters can only use the early style, and the 2001-04 Boxsters can only use the late-style. You can easily tell the difference between the two by the color and shape of the connectors on the back of the gauge cluster. Early-style clusters have a blue, white and black connector. Late-style clusters have connectors that are grey, blue and green. The two different types of clusters are not interchangeable.

You can reprogram a cluster from another Boxster or swap in a cluster from a 200-2001 996.  Here are general instructions for the 996 swap: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/90-ELEC-996_Cluster/90-ELEC-996_Cluster.htm

I have attached programming instructions for the cluster.

Working with the EPROM on Porsche Boxster - illustrated - old and new style clusters.docx

The document that Kevin shared is excellent. I did a lot of reading by the time of upgrading my cluster, and that document provided great insights on how to properly work with the EEPROMs while swapping units.

On both clusters, old and new, there are certain bytes what will enable/disable specific functionality (i.e. enable volt-meter or oil-pressure gauges). In general, I was able to find much more information on the OLD style of clusters in comparison to the NEW one.

One of the first tests that I did was to copy the entire EEPROM from the old cluster to the new one, which provided the same functionality as before (including my mileage, etc.), but now with a much better LCD screen.

At that time, my NEW cluster had a corrupt firmware, so I ended up manually typing the hex-code from the pdf document which enabled most of the functionality I required (except a few details, like the capacity of the fuel tank, as the second page is missing on the PDF ;) )

Now all this was possible between the same generations of clusters: when I tried to enable certain functionality on the NEW style of clusters using bytes from OLD one, it didn’t work.

Edited by JuncoJones

• 3 years later...

I am running into the same exact problem and am very thankful that I ran across this as I was thinking it was my temp sensor . Definitely saved me time , headache , and money . I swapped a 2001 engine in my 2000 and lost the temp gauge . Everything else is fine .  We’re you able to program your original cluster ? Did you end up figuring our how to make the gauge work ? 

• 4 years later...
  • Moderators

I would suggest you scan the car with a diagnostic tool that can read what coolant temp the DME is seeing, if it is not seeing any temp, you have a wiring or sensor issue.  If the tool sees temp at the DME, the issue is the harness between the sensor and the dash, or the display itself.