Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Door won't open from inside or outside!

Hi, I have a 2006 997 C4S. It had the common floppy interior door handle issue, so I ordered a new door axle pivot mechanism. When it arrived, we determined it was the "updated" part, which requires an updated cable as well. Until we received the new style cable, we finagled a way to make them compatible with each other - or so I thought. To make a long story short, once I locked the car, the door will not open (after unlocking), from inside or out. Whether on the fob, or with the key in the door, you can attempt to unlock, and hear the lock mechanism functioning - and the window still drops the 1" or so, but no door open. Through all this, I've gotten fairly adept at removing the door panel, so I've done the best I can again, with the door closed, but of course the panel will not come all the way off. I can't seem to see or wiggle anything in there to make a difference. I just want to get the door open, so I can change the lock bowden cable, etc. Does anyone have any ideas how I can just open the door? Or will a locksmith be able to get it open for me? Thank you in advance, any input is GREATLY appreciated!!  

I think you might be faced with extreme measures to fix this problem, it's a case of causing the least amount of damage to get the result. 

I notice that the outer plate and door release handle are held in place with two captive bolts with the nuts on the inside of the door on the outer side of an alloy cup.   Looking from the outside, If you lift the handle and look at the dished depression beneath you will see two small holes (I think they are casting vents).  These probably mark the centres of the captive bolts. It would be possible to drill these out from the outside.  Start with a small diameter drill to give you a centre line and follow up with a larger one to completely free the outer face plate.   I hope this would give you enough space to activate the lever and release the latch.

When all this is done you will need to either replace the outer plate or repair it.  You could repair it with two counter sunk stainless set screws glued in place.  For security you could fill the driving slots in the heads with epoxy resin.    

I really hope you find a solution to this problem.  When you do I am sure we would all like to know how you did it.

Edited by Hilux2400

• 5 months later...

i have the same problem with my car. did you happen to solve this issue? i changed the door latch but after locking it with the central lock, i cannot open the door from inside or outside.

Hi, I have a 2006 997 C4S. It had the common floppy interior door handle issue, so I ordered a new door axle pivot mechanism. When it arrived, we determined it was the "updated" part, which requires an updated cable as well. Until we received the new style cable, we finagled a way to make them compatible with each other - or so I thought. To make a long story short, once I locked the car, the door will not open (after unlocking), from inside or out. Whether on the fob, or with the key in the door, you can attempt to unlock, and hear the lock mechanism functioning - and the window still drops the 1" or so, but no door open. Through all this, I've gotten fairly adept at removing the door panel, so I've done the best I can again, with the door closed, but of course the panel will not come all the way off. I can't seem to see or wiggle anything in there to make a difference. I just want to get the door open, so I can change the lock bowden cable, etc. Does anyone have any ideas how I can just open the door? Or will a locksmith be able to get it open for me? Thank you in advance, any input is GREATLY appreciated!!  

Did you manage to solve this problem?  If you have, it would be useful to know how you did it.

H

Hi, yes, I gave in, and asked my mechanic to make a house call (for better or worse, I'm a good customer). He, having a better understanding than I of the mechanics of the system, was able to stick his fingers down in, and move the the axle pivot in a direction that allowed the latch assembly to function. Took him all of 10 seconds. We then got the car to his shop, where he pulled the panel, and replaced the entire system. It's now tight as a drum, and has been functioning properly for over 6 months. Hope the passenger side doesn't act up, but at least we'd know what (& what not!) to do. I hope this helps in some way, and I appreciate all the feedback and info I've always gotten on this great site.