Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Tiptronic driving tips? Best technique.

Hi 996 friends.

I'm relatively new to the 996 Tiptronic world. I like to drive mine in full auto, without the use of switches.

I've searched for threads on this, but found little info. If you know any good driving techniques to really command the transmission please let me know. I'm used to driving manuals, so this is new to me.

For example, I've heard of kickdown. It seems if I do a quick one or two pedal presses in succession, this kicks the tyranny into high revs and car takes off. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Seems like I have to master the pedal press technique for quick launches from dead stop. Does just pressing the pedal down once to the floor send the message to the transmission to high tail it, or should I be pressing the pedal a certain way /distance to ensure a hard, fast, acceleration?

Just trying to master the tiptronic and sending it the right combination of "commands " through my pedal.

Thanks for any insight and driving tips.

Randy

Try and avoid the vehicle hunting between gears on an uphill climb, use the override to select a lower gear.

A sharp depress of the gas pedal will change down and you can keep in that lower gear by maintaining the engine revs.

It never selects first at a halt, always 2nd.  To take off in first you have to select first.

It will go well into the 70's if held in 2nd on a full throttle.  At about 50 in 5th it's difficult to select 2nd with throttle alone it's best to use tip to get 2nd then floor it.  The car will change up 3rd on auto.

To get the full howling 0-100 stop the car.  Change to 1st.  get the car rolling slightly and floor it.  You won't get wheel-spin and It gets to 100 very quickly.    This is best done with the windows open. 

On a roundabout if applying too much throttle as a soon as the car senses out of rhythym speed between the back wheels it changes up.  

• Like 1

Just think of the buttons like a gear shifter.  It won't shift if the synchronous speed is not within an acceptable range.  For example it won't shift up from 2nd through to 5th at 20mph on a flat road as 20mph is too slow for 5th.  It won't shift down to 2nd at 100mph because 100mph is too fast for 2nd. 

When you shift using the tip buttons you will notice that the light on the clock goes left to "M" for a while to signal that you have moved to manual. It will stay there for a while and if you do nothing it will eventually move back to auto.   

If you want to drive completely in tip mode move the stick to "M" and then just use the tip buttons for shifts.  

Tip mode is also useful on slippery roads on a downhill grade as lower gears can be selected to retard the vehicle or maintain constant speed in place of braking.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't much but you guys are talking out of your a hole. It's a tiptronic for Chris sake! You're not going to have the same response as a pdk. Live with that fact and you're be fine.

Even in manual , the tiptronic still suck.

But who cares! People outside don't know you have an auto 911.

I have a one and love it!

I wish I can get a turbo though :) lol

• 7 years later...

I can't offer advice on launching but I have a 996 that Ive had in the mountains a bit. I found that if I am aggressive enough with the gas pedal the car will stay in a hi-rev gear.

I'n beginninng to think that I dreamt this but I read that the tipronic has 7 different driving modes. I'm looking to find out about that if anyone knows.

• Admin
51 minutes ago, MrSpeedyPants said:

I can't offer advice on launching but I have a 996 that Ive had in the mountains a bit. I found that if I am aggressive enough with the gas pedal the car will stay in a hi-rev gear.

I'n beginninng to think that I dreamt this but I read that the tipronic has 7 different driving modes. I'm looking to find out about that if anyone knows.

Sorry, only 6 modes...

Tiptronic (996).png

• 2 weeks later...
On paper the Tipronict sounds great as it will adjust its shift points to your driving style. The problem is that it to be re taught every time the ignition is switched on. Otherwise, it defaults to gas economy mode and shifts up at a way too low engine RPM. That’s why I always use the steering wheel buttons instead of “manual”. 

• 2 months later...

The Tip is an AMAZING piece of engineering.

Never drive the tip in M mode.

Always control the shift.

Yes, you CAN train it to start in first from stop.  A good indicator is when your mpg is below 16.5mpg.

Get the upgraded Siemens brain, which holds over from drive-to-drive.

Somewhere on the internet is a diagram of seven different driving style training imports the Tip uses to train itself (I thought I had saved it, alas).