Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

996TT Cab: New Owner with Convertible Top Issue

Hey there, new 2004 996TT Cabrio owner here!

I picked up my 996 Turbo Cabriolet a few weeks ago and have noticed the top is slow to go up and down (especially back up) as well as making some odd noises.

I've done quite a bit of reading online as well as searched this forum, and while I found a couple DIYs on how to replace the fluid, it seems the hydraulic pump on our Turbos is different from that on earlier 996s.

So, here's my current situation:

-Top is slow to go up and down

-I put the top in service position and removed the rear carpeted cover. Hydraulic fluid seems to be at the correct level and I did not see any leaks throughout the compartment. 

And here are my questions (and I really do appreciate any help, thanks guys!):

-Is the main issue in my situation most likely the fluid? I've read the fluid can go bad and sometimes needs to be replaced.

-I have some small diameter tubing as well as a syringe and have removed the pump, but I've not been able to get the syringe to extract any fluid. Is there a trick or do you need a special tool (or have the pump at a certain angle) to remove the old fluid?

Thank you again for any help you can provide, it's great to be a part of this community!

• Moderators

Hey there, new 2004 996TT Cabrio owner here!

I picked up my 996 Turbo Cabriolet a few weeks ago and have noticed the top is slow to go up and down (especially back up) as well as making some odd noises.

I've done quite a bit of reading online as well as searched this forum, and while I found a couple DIYs on how to replace the fluid, it seems the hydraulic pump on our Turbos is different from that on earlier 996s.

So, here's my current situation:

-Top is slow to go up and down

-I put the top in service position and removed the rear carpeted cover. Hydraulic fluid seems to be at the correct level and I did not see any leaks throughout the compartment. 

And here are my questions (and I really do appreciate any help, thanks guys!):

-Is the main issue in my situation most likely the fluid? I've read the fluid can go bad and sometimes needs to be replaced.

-I have some small diameter tubing as well as a syringe and have removed the pump, but I've not been able to get the syringe to extract any fluid. Is there a trick or do you need a special tool (or have the pump at a certain angle) to remove the old fluid?

Thank you again for any help you can provide, it's great to be a part of this community!

Welcome to RennTech :welcome:

More than likely, the reason you cannot pull any fluid out of the system is that it is already too low.  Try filling the system, cycling the top a few times, then drain and refill.

Welcome to RennTech :welcome:

More than likely, the reason you cannot pull any fluid out of the system is that it is already too low.  Try filling the system, cycling the top a few times, then drain and refill.

First off, thanks for the warm welcome!

If the fluid level in the reservoir is showing at the "crosshair" markings is that still low? I was reading elsewhere that the level shouldn't be above that, but that might have been only on the earlier 996 pumps.

Also, is there a trick to filling? So far I've removed the plug with an allen key and have been able to thread the tubing into the "hole inside the hole." Is this correct?

Thanks! 

Edited by jm813

When you say slow, could you actually give a time...make sure the hinge points on the frame are lubricated and check the cables for alignment and "tightness".

I'd say 20-25 seconds down (opening), maybe 25-30 seconds on the way up (closing). 

I'll definitely check on lubrication on the hinge points as well as the cables, do you recommend a certain grease for the hinge points? Thanks 

Great, I will definitely check all hinges and cables.

While the manual says 20 seconds, most 996 tops I've seen in person and online take about 12-13 seconds down and only 15 or so up, so my top is taking about twice the time it would under normal operating conditions. Also, I'm in Tampa, FL so cold weather isn't generally a factor (for better or for worse haha)

Update: I checked all hinges and cables, applied silicone grease as needed and put everything back together on the top.

I cycled the top through a few times with the car on as to make sure voltage was up, and I timed it up and down a bit more formally and came up with about 30-33 seconds each way.

I did double check the hydraulic fluid level and it was showing at the crosshairs: is the next step to drain the fluid and use new fluid? Any insight on how to do so? I had no luck with the small diameter tubing and syringe.

Thanks again!

Does your pump look like this:

pic05.jpg

Unfortunately no, that seems to be what the older 996s had. For the newer 996s including the turbos, it seems they switched to a different pump. 

I have attached a picture I found online, my pump looks like this one and is orientated horizontally with the reservoir toward the inside (driver's side) of the car.

post-106035-0-50087100-1461098217_thumb.

So the time does seem a bit long...Have you read the codes that may be stored.  There are a series of sensors and potentiometers that must be activated in sequence in a certain period of time or the system will time out.  Has the top ever been calibrated?

• 2 months later...

I have the same type of Hydraulic Pump that is mounted horizontally. When I initially looked at the Hydraulic fluid level it was above the plus mark and it made me think that I didn't have a low fluid level problem or the fluid was bad. I decided to take it off the mounting bracket by removing the 2 nuts on the top and pushing the rubber part off. I then removed the 3 screws of the mounting bracket so I could take the bracket off to gain better access to the pump. After that I was able to position the pump at a 45 degree angle exposing the hex screw. Once the hex screw was removed I used my syringe with a tube attached and took out some of the fluid.  After looking at the small sample It looked and felt fine so I started to worry that I had a bad pump. I decided to add more hydraulic fluid anyways just to rule it out. I was putting a little bit in at a time since the level showed it was full originally. I would reassemble each time and test the roof out and it got better and better, At the end after running the roof a few times I looked at the fluid level in the pump and it was actually lower than when I started. Hope this information helps someone out there with the same problem.

• Admin

How does one calibrate the top?  I have the durametric tool and clicking "Calibrate top" just cycles the top up/down.  

Just like the Porsche tool it resets the limits on all micro switches and sensors -- then tells you Calibration complete (as I recall).