Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Spoiler light always on

I just installed aero wing from MA Shaw. Nice piece of art. When I installed it with supplied harness 996 612 070 51 on 2001 Carrera 2; i get warning light the hood is open? but in reality it is closed shut and so goes with trunk too.......do I have to re pin it? if so how do I do it........

thanks

• Admin
I just installed aero wing from MA Shaw. Nice piece of art. When I installed it with supplied harness 996 612 070 51 on 2001 Carrera 2; i get warning light the hood is open? but in reality it is closed shut and so goes with trunk too.......do I have to re pin it? if so how do I do it........

thanks

The hood is open light?

Sounds like a bad harness. The only thing the -051 harness should change is the spoiler light (not the rear lid light).

thanks

The hood is open light?

Sounds like a bad harness. The only thing the -051 harness should change is the spoiler light (not the rear lid light).

THANKS FOR THE REPLY LOREN! got a new harness from ma shaw and bingo; everything is great! again thanks!

• 1 month later...

Loren- I am installing a GT3 MKII wing on my '02 C2 Coupe, do I need the -51 harness or can I just jump pin 2 to pin 5 in the exisiting harness and be done with it? Are the pins marked or if now which is the count direction?

When a fixed factory (Porsche) spoiler is added there is a change to the wiring harness to disable that warning. You need to purchase and install (5 min max) the following new harness: 996 612 070 51 Wiring Harness.

Technical Details:

Check whether there is a jumper connecting pin 2 (which is already jumped from pin 1) to pin 5 on plug X23 of the new wiring harness (connection to the vehicle). If this is the case, the spoiler extended signal will be constantly present at the control module and the warning light of the retractable rear spoiler will not light. (at speeds above 74mph).

Connect the plug connection of the new wiring harness to the vehicle. Route the wiring harness along the hood shock to the fan housing and attach it on the rear lid with two (2) fastening clips. Connect the fan and interior lamp plugs. Done.

X23_plug.jpg

• Admin
Loren- I am installing a GT3 MKII wing on my '02 C2 Coupe, do I need the -51 harness or can I just jump pin 2 to pin 5 in the exisiting harness and be done with it? Are the pins marked or if now which is the count direction?

When a fixed factory (Porsche) spoiler is added there is a change to the wiring harness to disable that warning. You need to purchase and install (5 min max) the following new harness: 996 612 070 51 Wiring Harness.

Technical Details:

Check whether there is a jumper connecting pin 2 (which is already jumped from pin 1) to pin 5 on plug X23 of the new wiring harness (connection to the vehicle). If this is the case, the spoiler extended signal will be constantly present at the control module and the warning light of the retractable rear spoiler will not light. (at speeds above 74mph).

Connect the plug connection of the new wiring harness to the vehicle. Route the wiring harness along the hood shock to the fan housing and attach it on the rear lid with two (2) fastening clips. Connect the fan and interior lamp plugs. Done.

X23_plug.jpg

Yes, it is the same harness for a MY02 (and newer) coupe - so the jumpering the pins should be the same too.

Thanks Loren, always appreciate your expertise- how do I determine which one is pin 2 and which one is pin 5?

Yes, it is the same harness for a MY02 (and newer) coupe - so the jumpering the pins should be the same too.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Admin
Does this "jumper" mod work for a 2000 996? Also, what do you mean by "jumping" the pins. Do I run a wire from the 2 pins? Thanks in advance.

Yes, it will work for a MY2000.

Yes, make the electrical connection on the pins with a jumper/splice or buy the factory cable.

• 9 months later...

Loren - i have just fitted a fixed wing (with brake light) on my 2003 996 and kept the main brake light under the rear glass is still operational. I obviously get the error light on the dash. I know I can get a wiring loom to fix this (the one ending in part code .55) but they are over $250 in the UK. is there a simple DIY wiring mod I can do to fix this or do I need the new wiring loom.

• Admin
Loren - i have just fitted a fixed wing (with brake light) on my 2003 996 and kept the main brake light under the rear glass is still operational. I obviously get the error light on the dash. I know I can get a wiring loom to fix this (the one ending in part code .55) but they are over $250 in the UK. is there a simple DIY wiring mod I can do to fix this or do I need the new wiring loom.

Did you read post #1 in this thread?

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...dpost&p=100

Loren,

My friend has an 2002 996 NB cab and we installed a fixed wing on it. I read your thread about two different harnesses. Can you tell me which one I need?

Btw, I just called my local dealership and the price of the harness is $211.25 (ridiculous)

Edwin

Edited by m32

Loren,

My friend has an 2002 996 NB cab and we installed a fixed wing on it. I read your thread about two different harnesses. Can you tell me which one I need?

Edwin

996.612.070.10 is for the Cab spoilers.

Loren,

I called Suncoast and they said it's titled "harness, stop light". Will this harness get rid of that spoiler malfunction warning light on the dash? Thanks

Edwin

• Admin
Loren,

Edwin

Loren,

I called Suncoast and they said it's titled "harness, stop light". Will this harness get rid of that spoiler malfunction warning light on the dash? Thanks

Edwin

Yes, both the spoiler and all the rear lights run through the harness.

Loren,

Edwin

Loren,

Edwin

Thanks Loren. Where can I go to donate/contribute to this site? your help is invaluable

Edwin

Loren,

Edwin

Loren,

Edwin

Loren,

The fixed spoiler has a brake light on it too. Will the harness cut that light out too then?

Edwin

• Admin
Loren,

Edwin

Loren,

Edwin

Loren,

The fixed spoiler has a brake light on it too. Will the harness cut that light out too then?

Edwin

that will depend on what fixed wing you installed - if it is a Porsche factory wing - then yes.

If not - your guess is as good as mine.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Loren,

I am simply going to get a -51 wiring harness to turn off the spoiler light on the dash. So, is there any need for the jumping or re-wiring you mentioned in your post#1? I am truly confused by the re-wiring and jumping instructions you gave. Would really appreciate if you could advise me just on how to fix up the -51 wiring harness for an 02' C4S- pics would be even better! Thanks a lot!

• Admin
Hi Loren,

I am simply going to get a -51 wiring harness to turn off the spoiler light on the dash. So, is there any need for the jumping or re-wiring you mentioned in your post#1? I am truly confused by the re-wiring and jumping instructions you gave. Would really appreciate if you could advise me just on how to fix up the -51 wiring harness for an 02' C4S- pics would be even better! Thanks a lot!

:welcome:

Do one or the other - not both.

What spoiler do you have?

Hi Loren,

:welcome:

Do one or the other - not both.

What spoiler do you have?

I have the misha GTM wing. So, I just have to plug in the -51 harness right? No need to find pin 2 or pin 5 etc?