Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Spoiler light always on

Check your rear lid spoiler wiring harness - it should be 996 612 070 51. If it is not then someone switched it out for the stock harness.

Check whether there is a jumper connecting pin 2 (which is already jumped from pin 1) to pin 5 on plug X23 of the new wiring harness (connection to the vehicle).

Thanks for the reply, Loren. Earlier I did attempt to locate a part number on the wire harness but I didn't see one. Would you happen to know its location?

I also looked for a jumper and didn't see one....

Thanks again. Your insights are appreciated.

The upper left two pins have resistance to each other. These two pins are to the wires that I don't know where they run to.

The upper right two pins have resistance to each other. These two wires run to the fan.

The lower right to pins have resistance to each other. These two wires run to the light.

post-99896-0-52835300-1440942154_thumb.j

post-99896-0-38087600-1440942174_thumb.j

Loren,

I've been corresponding with another factory-installed aero kit owner. He has 7 wires coming out of his connector whereas I only have 6. 

If you still have your aero kit 996, is there any chance you could take a look and see how many wires are coming out of your connector?

Thanks again.

• Admin

Loren,

I've been corresponding with another factory-installed aero kit owner. He has 7 wires coming out of his connector whereas I only have 6. 

If you still have your aero kit 996, is there any chance you could take a look and see how many wires are coming out of your connector?

Thanks again.

As I said you may have the wrong harness - either from a repair or accident.

Mine also has 7 pins/wires.

post-1-0-61935600-1440968519_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Ok thanks for taking a look. 

I guess I'll just have to continue scratching my head as my harness is clearly missing a wire. Plus I've noticed that the wing has all of the markings of an OEM piece (imbedded PD and Turnwald lettering, not a sticker) but it is missing the "Made In France" lettering next to it. The car has all of the other factory stickers under the lid and is a '99 but was built in October 1998. I'm wondering if it that could make a difference? Additionally, the car has "XAA" on the underhood sticker. 

Looks like the correct wiring harness has "appreciated" in value over the years. The cheapest I can find is close to $300. Crazy.

Edited by IslaTurbine

Update: I was able to take extra length of wire from the #2 and #5 connector wires to create my own wire for the seventh one that I was missing. I then fabricated a connector pin from a computer cable and attached it to the new wire, soldered the wire ends of those three wires together, and got the new pin to seat in the connector assembly. Put it all back together, got the car up to 80 mph and no more spoiler warning light. Fixed!

• 2 years later...
  • Admin
5 hours ago, Andrew1717 said:

Is there a fuse that I can pull to stop the light?  Is it harmful to the car to have the light on constantly?

If you have a fixed spoiler then you need a different cable harness. A fairly expensive part but a 5-minute install.

• 1 year later...

Hi Loren,

Great advice here - hoping you can help out and I will write up the procedure in a post later.

I have a 2001 UK spec C4 and I notice on the wiring diagrams that the USA spec has a different wiring diagram. Would you have a diagram for my car?

I have purchased an aftermarket turbo fixed wing in GRP as per the attached (this is the car it came off not mine) and it comes with a standard movable wing harness. The power and return for the spoiler power (red and black) mentioned in an earlier post have been taped up and the three microswitches have been zip tied, leaving the 4th brake light, fan and work light intact. Basically, I want to be able to take my stock lid off and leave it unmolested then modify the harness on the fixed wing to mimic 996.612.070.04 (because my fixed wing has a 4th brake light). I have done some tracing of wires but want to be sure. Any diagrams of the fixed wing harness would be good too.

Many thanks in anticipation.

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hey Guys, 

it's now 2020 and I just picked up a GT3 Style spoiler for my 1999 996 C2.  Is there any simple jumper pin trick at this point with this, or do I need to bite the bullet and get a $350 harness (yes the 3 light version is that much).  Just wanted to see if anything is new with this, I don't have a light in the spoiler itself, just want the light on the dash to go away and the brake light to work on the car.

thanks!

Jason

• Admin
35 minutes ago, JROZ said:

Hey Guys, 

it's now 2020 and I just picked up a GT3 Style spoiler for my 1999 996 C2.  Is there any simple jumper pin trick at this point with this, or do I need to bite the bullet and get a $350 harness (yes the 3 light version is that much).  Just wanted to see if anything is new with this, I don't have a light in the spoiler itself, just want the light on the dash to go away and the brake light to work on the car.

thanks!

Jason

Did you read the first post in this thread?

Hi,

Sorry Loren,  I missed that part! I found someone on rennlist that has a harness but the problem is he doesn’t know if it’s for the spoiler with brake light or without.  The item also doesn’t have the part number.  He recalls paying for $250+ , it was for a 996 turbo.  Here are the pictures.  It looks exactly like 996-612-070-51-MS56 but also like 996-612-070-04 .  Are you able to tell by the pins if this is the 51 or 04? I need the -51 for my 996 carrera ( without the brake light on the spoiler), so don’t want to make a costly mistake and pay more for this especially if it’s the 04 and retails for less than what he’s offering it for.  Really appreciate it!

3F265C54-F715-44F8-8803-C8ECCE70E6DC.jpeg

D8DF0D9E-70B3-4E39-A724-26E92FD5346C.jpeg

Edited by JROZ