Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hi all, is it normal for a tiptronic to feel quite brutal when cold and be almost silky smooth once warmed up? I've had the oil changed recently and it made a little difference but not much. As well as being a bit more brutal when cold it almost feels that it can't decide whic gear to be in. When warm though it's pretty perfect, I wondered if there's temp s nor somewhere that could cause this?

On the assumption that the fluid put in is as specified for the Tiptronic, I'd suggest as the first step that you ensure that the amount of ATF in the transmission is correct. With the ATF at between 35C and 40C, the fluid level should be just below the fill line i.e. to the brim.

My 996 3.6 C2 has a tip box.  It's done 61K.  When cold it holds a lower gear longer than expected, but this clear after a few miles, after which it works normally. However, the change to first gear is a bit clunky and I hope this is resolved with an oil and filter change soon. 

I had a Merc with a ZF box which had similar slow characteristics when cold. 

As a matter of interest, how much did your oil change cost and where did you have it done?  I assume that included a new filter? 

Thanks for your replies. It was done by a Porsche Indie, he charged me £250, apparently they hold a lot of oil/fluid. I have no idea what the temp was when he did it but I would hope it was correct. Hilux, you've described it exactlyso it's obviously pretty normal.

Thanks for your replies. It was done by a Porsche Indie, he charged me £250, apparently they hold a lot of oil/fluid. I have no idea what the temp was when he did it but I would hope it was correct. Hilux, you've described it exactlyso it's obviously pretty normal.

The filter and gasket are about £100 and as you say the oil is expensive.  Thanks for your reply.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Sorry to open an old thread but I'm still having issues with the tiptronic when cold. Is it possible to reset the gearbox? Where i used to live we had a gravel driveway that was on a slope, when i reversed the car off, it had so much torque that using the brake pedal to control speed meant the front wheels would lock as the rears kept turning and literally dragged the locked up fronts across the loose gravel. Eventually I learnt to leave the brake pedal alone and i used the hand brake instead as this helped to slow the rear wheels instead of the front and did the trick. However about this time i found that once I'd driven off (forwards!), at low speeds the rpm would be a little erratic, almost like it wanted to change gear but didn't (I've tried to video this to demonstrate). So I'm wondering if my hand brake trick might have upset the tcu settings, and now i need to reset...? Any ideas please? The Indies I've taken it to have changed the maf and the throttle body, thinking it's an engine issue, this has done nothing other than cost me money and I'm now convinced it's transmission related.