Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

27 minutes ago, ekstroemtj said:

I was driving now 1000 km nonstop. 34 degrees outside. Until now no major temp.problems. I adjust water level at home but without using the vacuum equipment. We will see what next days will show

Maybe was air locked and low coolant after thermostat replacement!

Let's hope this fixed it or the cost might escalate significantly. Fingers crossed for you my friend. 

• Moderators
3 hours ago, ekstroemtj said:

Might the sort of oil we are using and the interval we change it have some impact of operation temps with this engines?

Yes to both.  People tend to forget that one of the principal functions of engine oil is heat transfer.

@JFP in PA thank you.  So the specs for oil are given. 

What i can do

change the oil more often

using high octan gas because thats bringing down the combustion temp too

cutting some slices into the hood to get a air scoop for better fresh air Access (i was really thinking about it :-)

When you consider the max summer ambient temps in Germany are fairly average compared to other regions it doesn't make sense your cayenne isn't able to stay cool. 

Are you still running hot Thomas? 

You shouldn't need this to keep the engine cool, but if for a style upgrade then it looks pretty cool. 

@Lewis just came home from my 1000 km trip from the sea. The temp gauge is strange. Outside temp quiet warm. Lots of traffic jams . In the beginning sometimes the temp went close to 100 . After i run AC constantly. In this way the gauge is always in the middle. Something is not like it must be. Need to do the vacuum filling again to take out possible air pockets.

when i was close to home i run it for some time over 240 on the highway. Temp in the middle. Hard driving doesnt push the temp

3 hours ago, ekstroemtj said:

@Kikokiko1976 thank you for this point. I need to check the forum how the fans have to work. 

It is perfectly normal for the gauge to increase over the middle point when the AC is off. The thermostat will be partially closed at this time and when the temp reaches 89oC the thermostat is fully open and the fans kick in automatically and then the temp will drop to centre again. If the AC is on the gauge will pretty much stay at the centre whether you are stationary or when your driving and air flow is constant across the radiator then the temp will stay in the middle pretty much perfectly irrespective of the speed and engine load unless maybe towing heavy load at low road speed up a hill for a long time, for example. 

In my car I can sit at idle stationary for hours with the gauge in the middle if the fan is on and thats with outside temp of 40oC. 

Also note if you hook up your scan tool, you can view the exact temperature the Ecu is seeing, you should see the fan kick in at 87-89oC and bring the temp down to 85oC or lower.

If the temp is going above 90oC then something is not working correctly!!

The temp gauge on the dash is not very accurate I find. 

Edited by lewisweller

@Lewis thankx a lot Lewis.

i will see what the tester will show. 

- according your info the fan is starting at 89 degrees at stage one

- at which event the fan is running on stage 2

i understand when i shut down a really hot engine the fan has to run for some time after. Every car is doing this i guess. 

mine i never hear running when engine off

1 hour ago, ekstroemtj said:

@Lewis thankx a lot Lewis.

i will see what the tester will show. 

- according your info the fan is starting at 89 degrees at stage one

- at which event the fan is running on stage 2

i understand when i shut down a really hot engine the fan has to run for some time after. Every car is doing this i guess. 

mine i never hear running when engine off

I think the fan speed is infinitely variable and increases and decreases according to the Ecu command. I also don't think mine runs after engine is off, but there is a water circulation pump mounted in the driver side front wheel arc area which circulates coolant around for a short time after engine of and also is the pump that gives the climate control system heat for a short period after engine is off keeping passengers remaining inside the car warm. 

• Upvote 1

i did a test this evening. Outside temp 22 degress. ICarsoft OBD Tester

first of all some guys here are right. Our oil temp gauge is a toy tool.

mine stay always at 90. doesnt metter which temp outside and how i drive. Measuring with the tool = 107 degrees

gauge = 90 degrees

water is the same : 

the OBD reading is always HIGHER than the gauge. 

I let the car idle at 570 rpm for some minutes

water temp according OBD = 96

water temp according gauge = 90

Edited by ekstroemtj

JFP...You are a pro. Maybe you have idea:

when i had a more close look to the OBD numbers while hunting for the high temp reason the tool showing some infos about the fans which i cant get on context. Google couldnt help too.

maybe you have a clue.

Fan P/D factor, what this number should tell me?

• Moderators

While I am not conversant with the iCarsoft  system, your radiator fans speeds are controlled by an electronic system (Pulse Width Modulation) that can infinitely vary the fan speeds by varying voltage on time instead of the old multiple resistor system, I am assuming that is what the tools is displaying, possible as a percentage of "on time", the more on time, the faster the fan speed.

31 minutes ago, ekstroemtj said:

The electricel circulation water pump is running all the time?! This could be my problem too. Somebody know where this part is sitting? On the diagram cant see well. I read somewhere behind the weel housing?!

IMG_8749.PNG

IMG_8750.PNG

The pump is located behind the drivers side front wheel arc liner. 

2 minutes ago, ekstroemtj said:

@Lewis thank you. Possible to hear if it's working?

Maybe, if the car is very hot and had hard drive then you quickly pull up and switch off the engine in a quiet area you may be able to hear the pump running. Put you ear against the front drivers wing any humming or noise is for sure the pump running. 

If the DME doesn't think the car is hot and been pushed hard it won't run the pump. So you need to drive it hard when already at normal temp and then pull over quickly and switch off immediately. 

• 1 year later...

Hello guys, I have a Cayenne S 2009 and this car already damaged two water tank. Could any of you tell me if it is a material problem or something wrong in the car that I should work around?

The first water tank was an original component (started to leak when car hot), than I bought an used one that damaged 3 months laters. Now I bought a new one (not original /OEM) from this vendor and will fix the third time same problem in the same component.

https://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-1084039426-reservatorio-de-agua-vw-touareg-audi-q7-porsche-cayenne-_JM

An I am afraid to damage this one again. Any idea or recommendation?

The car has no leakages till now, water level aways OK, and pump seems to work normal. Maybe lack of look with the other 2 tanks.

Thank you in advance!  

Marcio

Hi Marcio, 

How is it going?

Two things, 

Do you frequently check the coolant is on level? Its correct level as before or less? Do you fill it correctly, not more than the mark?

Either is too much pressure from the coolant being too much, or you have heating escaping the engine bay, that heats the material over its specifications!

Do you have a photo of the cracked coolant reservoir?

Best, 

Dennes

Second