Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, SabaDabaDoo said:

Could anybody point me to the article on how to access a switched wire to power my radar detector ?( or how to change the cigarette lighter into switched power?)

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Under your radio and behind the center console is a plug meant to be used for the extinct factory cell phone:

Picture004-1.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SabaDabaDoo said:

Could anybody point me to the article on how to access a switched wire to power my radar detector ?( or how to change the cigarette lighter into switched power?)

Thanks

yes, check the search engine.  there are many threads on this, including many with step-by-step photos re radar detector placements.

My V1 is up next to the rear view mirror.  The remote unit is down on the batwing below the console cubby.

There is a thread with pics on this exact placement.  You can wire into the cabin light connection.  Or, as I did, if you do not have heated seats, use the empty fuse connection in the fuse box, wire in a fuse connector and run a line up the pillar to the rear view mirror area.  Any empty switched fuse connection would work, but the heated seat fuse seems to be the best, unless of course you have heated seats (which I don't because I live in an area with a mild year round climate).  See the post above by Creekman if you need to find an open switched fuse.

Loren notes a good suggestion as well, and I recall a thread with step by step photos of this connection as well.  It's perfect if you want to mount the detector directly into your console.  Good pics on this.  The search engine is your friend.

Don't change the cigarette lighter to switched power.  Use the lighter plug for connection of a battery charger to maintain the battery if you are not regularly driving the car, say over winter storage, or when away on a long trip with your wife who insists on taking her suv to lug all the luggage.  These cars are battery hogs, and more than a few folks have reported a drained out battery after a long period of storage.  Drained out battery can lead to overloaded alternator.  Trickle charger is perfect via cigarette lighter.  Just open the passenger window about 1/4 inch for the wire.  Of course, there are many threads about hooking up a trickle charger to the battery.  I just didn't want to mess around doing that.  You can find good trickle chargers on line.  If you get one with the Porsche logo you will pay about triple for it.  Check with Sunset Parts, or look around on line.  Porsche branded charger is a generic from a company I don't recall at the moment.

Good luck. 

Edited by judgejon
  • Upvote 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, 318touring said:

My setup, from the fuse box as my car does have a phone and different connector - also mine is not a US car

IMG_8446.JPG

If you check behind the center console, you will find the cell phone plug, all versions of the car had one, regardless of if they were equipped with the phone of not.  It is part of the standard wire harness.

To add a twist to things: I have a dash cam that is powered by the usual 5v usb that plugs into the 12v socket.

The problem here is if I am to hardwire it into the switched plug you kindly referred to, how to circumvent the difference in voltage?