Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Anyone experienced this scenario? 

Upon turning ignition key,  heard a click, and had no electrical power to anything on car. After opening hood and looking around I grasped the positive battery cable and pulled / jiggled slightly to check connection from where it disappears into the  firewall (if you will) area, and all electrical power was restored... car started and everything fine? Next time I went to start car experienced the same scenario. My question is...where, what does positive battery cable connect to that would exhibit these symptoms. Thanks

You can remove these ads by becoming a Contributing Member.

997-1 had a problem with the cable to the starter.

Make sure you get the correct cable as they are different for 6-speed and Tiptronic.

A couple hours and lots of under car - top of car to replace.

997-1 cable.png

Loren thank you for your response. The cable from the starter and to union #15 has been replaced. If cable were for tiptronic would it still fit my application as I have a 6 speed trans.? 

What is part #11, and how might it figure into my issue? As everything works after moving cable, I'm thinking its something up front?

Check the nut that fixes cable #4 to part #11 (firewall frunk side). Part #11 is the power distribution unit under the dash on the passenger side that houses a few large curent fuses.

I know one case where that nut was loose (on a Boxster but same design) and that created electrical cut-out issues.

Edited by Ahsai

Thanks Ahsai, I will give this a look see and let you know what I find.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Silver_TT
      2002 Carrera 4S. I did a search and didn't see these exact symptoms simultaneously.
      See attached picture. I was driving at 5k RPM in 3rd when the power of the car was suddenly reduced (by the computer I believe) and the console beeped displaying the following 4 checks: 1. Brake distribution 2. PSM failure 3. ABS failure 4. Battery -- also, as you can see in the pic, the battery voltage meter is maxing out. When I disengage the clutch from the engine the voltage drops some (and the brake/ PSM/ ABS messages go away and are temporarily ok) but is still running significantly higher than what I'm used to seeing. Could this high voltage be damaging to the electronics system? Presumably there's something going on with the voltage regulator. Does the ABS/ PSM turn off automatically for saftey when there are voltage spikes?
      My battery is an Interstate and is ~ 1yr old. This seems to me like the alternator (possibly the voltage regulator). I realize it would be better if I had a Durametric to hook it up to and get the exact error codes off of. That may need to be done to properly diagnose what's going on here.
      Thanks in advance for any help/input.
      Cheers,
      Alex

• By Kevin Bryck
      Okay this is REALLY specific.
      The adjustable tension cable on the drivers side of my cabriolet disconnected at the top where it threads (8mm) into the top frame, not at the bottom where it snaps onto the ball.
      The is a larger diameter (10mm?) clean smooth painted hole where the cable needs to thread in, which leads to the presumption that there was a nut on the back side?
      Searched all over including removing driver's side rear 'door' panel and fishing around with a magnet but no loose nut found.
      Looks like getting to back side of this frame casting would entail a major disassembly of the cabriolet top frame?

Also, what does this clip that goes over hydraulic cylinder do?
      Right side clips is in place about halfway down length of cylinder.
      Left side clip was down around the base of the shaft.
      Replacing it where there appears to be a shiny spot looks like it would interfere with the cabriolet top potentiometer arm.
      Right cable threaded into frame at top
      Right cable threaded into frame at top
      Missing cable location
      Smooth clean painted hole in top frame where 8mm cable end is supposed to thread in
      Left cable
      Left upper cable end with 8mm thread
      Clip question
    • By rting
      (60,000km on the odometer) Now the car is completely dead with no Interior lights anywhere.  Car was sitting there with a charger on timer charging for maybe an hour per day for a month while I was on vacation.  The CD/radio was making a clicking sound prior to and I thought the battery needs a boost to start after a month.  Now nothing!

Well almost nothing - behind the dash board there is some very weak clicking/sound.

Thought I ask here first - before towing it to the Porsche dealership. ?
    • By Charles Bradley
      My drivers' side headlight was replaced by the dealership after an accident. It has worked fine for two years since, but recently decided to stop working. I get a "check dipped beam" message on the cluster as a result. The turn signals work, as does a single little light on the outer side of the assembly. The main and high beam do not.

After taking it out to inspect, I noticed that the electrical harness connector on the back was the problem. When I could force it into the headlights socket, the lights all powered up and worked fine, as did the high beam. So a poor connection is the culprit.

One of the tabs on the side of the white connector was broken off, so the connector wiggles in its place. I imagine that the force of the headlight being pushed back wiggled it just enough that it wouldnt' seat into the headlight assembly. But getting that white connector into the socket and then back into its place without being able to get my hand in from the rear of the light was not apparent.  I also noted that the insulation on all the wires was terribly frayed and coming off in my hands as I examined it.

But with a new connector in hand, I don't see how to wiggle the old one out. It slides in from the side on the back of the tray holding the headlight assembly, but is blocked from sliding out all the way.

How do I rectify this?
    • By Nicky_Noodle
      I have a 2004 Cayenne S. I just got it recently, interior lights have never worked. I checked the fuse and it was blown. It calls for a 20 amp fuse but the blown one in it was a 25 amp. I had the key in the ignition if I remember correctly and put the new 20 amp fuse in and everything came on. Side note, I noticed a weird glitch with the light above the rear passenger side door and the switch on the main map reading light. The interior lights had gone off and I turned the back on and the backlight above to passenger side door was very dim. I slid the switch on the overhead console for the main map light and the rear light came back to full strength. I found that odd. Everything then worked fine. I took the key out. Next time I put the key in, immediately heard the fuse blow. Any ideas on where to start?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.