Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Exhaust Question

I guess it depends on what parts of the exhaust you are trying to retrofit. The '00 and newer have the precats in the headers which is probably not a desireable feature unless you're really the tree-hugger type assuming the ECU knows what to do with it. The cats for different years have different part numbers, but I don't know what the differences are. Similar story for O2 sensors. The mufflers I have read many times will interchange and the clamps/connector pipe part numbers are the same, but I have heard that on certain earlier years, a new mounting bracket setup is needed to fit the newer mounting style. Which parts are you trying to swap?

I'm looking to replace the muffler, clamps and connecter pipes. I would like to find a used OE item in good shape. I'm hoping to find someone who went to an aftermarket solution and is selling the original. But I want to be sure that newer models will work.

Thanks

I recently replaced my muffler with an aftermarket one, but the aftermarket one used the original mounting clamps, tubes, etc. I find it hard to believe that they would be worn out, but you can probably get a new set from one of the online Porsche dealers like Sunset which is where I have gotten many parts from. Actually, I have an extra set of clamps, but not the sleeves (double-ended clamps). I don't have any affiliation or first-hand knowledge of using the "adapter" for the newer mufflers on the 2.5L, but here is a link on the Suncoast website I found for you:

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant...y_Code=986sport

Note that it lists the optional kit for 2.5L motors for $120 whereas the later 2.7 and 3.2 don't need it. A dealer could probably confirm. I have my "S" muffler in the classifieds if all works out. Good luck!

I have a rattling noise coming from the exhaust. Had the heatshields checked and was told that a baffle inside the muffler was the problem. I would like to replace the muffler and thought that replacing the hardware woud be a good idea as well. Would like to know what options I may have for a replacement muffler. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

I have a rattling noise coming from the exhaust.  Had the heatshields checked and was told that a baffle inside the muffler was the problem.  I would like to replace the muffler and thought that replacing the hardware woud be a good idea as well.  Would like to know what options I may have for a replacement muffler.  Any other suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks

I put an S muffler on my '99 and was very happy with the look and sound. It was just a little deeper in sound and not much louder. I had to buy the upper bracket for the S muffler because the mounting method had been changed over the years. I did the installation myself in about 2 hours without removing the rear bumper. Removing the bumper would have made it easier.

Good Luck,

Rich

C130122,

I think the link I posted above is what 'savinor' is talking about. Dealers should know what this adapter is. I doubt the pipe and clamps are rattling. It also took me about 2 hours without removing the bumper. The hardest part was getting the end pipes off--lots of wiggling and Liquid Wrench. Good luck!