Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Without a diagnostics capability, you really are shooting in the dark. That can get very expensive.

As you appear to be intent on working on the vehicle yourself, getting hold of a Durametric or similar would be the soundest first step in my opinion.

What condition were the coils and plugs in that you replaced?

Hello all,

My battery is fluctuating from 13-13.8 while idling ...

If I put a load on it (radio, Window defrost, fans,hi beams) it fluctuates 12.9-13.1

It's a brand new battery and I been getting a lot of electrical related codes (low voltage on fuel pump, pedal voltage, PSM failure has been happening a lot now,several other voltage related codes)

Is this a bad alternator ?

I have been having coolant leaking from overflow tank past few days when sitting idling.  Not sure if this has anything to do with alternator since it's a liquid cooled alternator (from.what I'm.readint it's liquid cooled)

Anything else that could be causing the voltage drop..

I just bought the car 10 days ago.. Battery was new when I got it

Engine starts right up.

A few days ago I checked voltage and it was 12.6 with car off and 13.7 running...

Seems like something going on now... I also did have a blown fuse (#14) for fuel pump....

Any help will be much appreciated 

Pete

On 12/14/2016 at 1:11 AM, wizard said:

Without a diagnostics capability, you really are shooting in the dark. That can get very expensive.

As you appear to be intent on working on the vehicle yourself, getting hold of a Durametric or similar would be the soundest first step in my opinion.

What condition were the coils and plugs in that you replaced?

Wizard

Coils look perfect ,no cracks or anything 

Plugs were pretty brown on ends, cylinders 1 and 8 were wet  (smelled like  gas)with large carbon deposits

Cylinder 6 had carbon on plug also 

6 hours ago, Renzo511 said:

Wizard

Coils look perfect ,no cracks or anything 

Plugs were pretty brown on ends, cylinders 1 and 8 were wet  (smelled like  gas)with large carbon deposits

Cylinder 6 had carbon on plug also 

Some pictures of plugs would have been good. Also get some diagnostic software my friend, your pissing in the wind right now. 

I have icarsoft 960 reader...

I get a lot of voltage related codes such as the ones I listed.

The oil in the filler cap and as well as the filler cap is fine.

This picture is driver's side plugs I.pulled out and then replaced.

The right side of picture is the plug closest to front nose of engine.

Will send  passenger side next

IMG_20161221_074830.jpg

1 hour ago, Renzo511 said:

I have icarsoft 960 reader...

I get a lot of voltage related codes such as the ones I listed.

The oil in the filler cap and as well as the filler cap is fine.

This picture is driver's side plugs I.pulled out and then replaced.

The right side of picture is the plug closest to front nose of engine.

Will send  passenger side next

IMG_20161221_074830.jpg

That is some oily plugs, your either having bad piston rings or valve stems seals or more likely a pcv problem think AOS or turbo seal. This amount of oil on the plugs spells trouble. 

First thing to do is compression test and leak down check. 

And also have the coolant tested for hydrocarbons to eliminate the possibility your head gaskets is blown. Or just take the cap off when its cold and sniff it, if you smell fuel rather than a dull sweetness you may have a blown head gasket. 

I think the alternator also sounds suspect and the "new battery" could be the cover up before sale. It should remain stable voltage wise or the regulator is failing. 

I don't know if it's possible the water cooling of the alternator (if a fault inside) could cause the expansion tank to boil or overflow/leak, this is more likely a split expansion tank as many have failed over the years, well documented here if you do a search.