Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)
Sign in to follow this  
John Kelly

Pieces of foam in AC vents and on the floor

I have a 2004 C2 CAB with 120K miles.  I am getting bits of black foam material coming from the air vents and from under the dash.  Where is this coming from? and how can I fix it?  I was told there is a foam "pad" on the air flow box under located under front hood near battery.

You can remove these ads by becoming a Contributing Member.

The foam is from a flap inside the air control box under the dash or some lining in the vents.  This is a very common problem.  It is a difficult and PITA job to get to the flap, and you cannot just order a new flap.  What most have done is vacuum up the mess, keep a pair of tweezers in the car and pull the stuff that gets stuck behind the vents, and wait patiently until all the bits and pieces stop coming out.  That will happen.  Mine did this a few years ago and it was definitely annoying.  But after research decided to wait it out.  Funny thing is, I've never noticed any difference in the air flow/direction to the various outlets since.  Seems to work just fine without whatever that foam on the flap is for, or the vent work linings.  Actually has been a long time since anymore came out, so I figure problem resolved.

BTW, there is a pollen filter located just where you said, to the left of the battery.  Should be periodically replaced. Doubt that is the source of your problem unless it is old and very deteriorated.

Edited by DBJoe996
  • Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By royp4
      Hi all,
      I have noticed that after my last service at the dealer the engine runs about 8 degrees warmer (about 220f) and the rear fan runs for extended periods after I shut the engine off. The oil pressure also seems to be lower than it was before the service, which included oil change, coolant flush, and coolant replacement. Any ideas on why this might be happening would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    • By herm5000
      List Mates, I have a 2002 996 c4. When my Air conditioner compressor is activated the volume of air coming out of the vents is decreased dramatically.  It still blows cold but just very very low volume or amount. I have had it recharged , checked leaks , replaced condensors etc but nothing changes. As soon as you switch the ac off ( snowflake button) the volume of air through the vents goes right back up.  Volume of air is fine on heat , defrost etc.  I have never had this issue with any other vehicle. Any ideas as to what the problem may be?
    • By Pxwguad
      Hi guys,
      i am a proud owner of a 2010 Porsche Cayenne base, and I love this vehicle, but I’m having a issue with the AC blower motor, when I first turn on the AC and put the fan on high it blows but not very hard then all of the sudden it jumps to high and runs perfectly, does anyone know what could be causing this, I’m hoping it’s just the blower motor resistor. Any input would help.
      thanks in advance

sincerely

Paul
    • By danish
      In MY04 CS when I turn the heat on, it is throwing cold air on passenger side while the drivers side is working fine.  I have tried changing temperature individually for both sides, but no cigar.
      i read similar post here but it was more about air condutioner than the heater.

I had this problem about a year ago, but it started working again after a few hours.

Another issue is that there is no air coming out from front center ducts.  This center duct problem somehow fixed itself for a short period of time in the summer when I was using A/C, but returned again.

Any suggestion what could be causing these?
    • By FStallcup
      Having an issue with the heater in my 2000 Boxster S.  It fogs up the windows when the heater is on.  If I turn the AC button on the fog stops but the air temperature is no longer hot or warm even.  The moisture coming out seems to have an odd smell to it.  It's either old nasty water or perhaps antifreeze.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.