Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2009 Cayman Ignition system

Does anyone know the ACTUAL inter-workings of what is going on in a 2009 cayman ignition switch? is it throwing voltage, or data, or is voltage dropping out?

does anyone have access to wiring diagrams of the switch?

Thanks, Msmalley

Hi Jeff, and thanks for the reply.
  I'll have the shaft checked. Suggest an easy method?

Yes, its an LN. I pulled the old one when I put this motor (junkyard motor) in, bought an LN, (and admittedly gave it to the shop).

The unit in there now is a) large, b) has races like an LN, not OE, and c) has the larger shaft and threads of the LN vs OE. (C) is why its not yet n my hand, i need a different thread adapter for the LN puller -- which is intended to remove the OE bearing.

In any event, this large, open bearing failed in three years of track use, roughly 10 events per year, advanced run groups where i (admittedly) am always WOT to keep up with the much faster cars (or fail while trying).  So this method does NOT do the trick, not always. Not in my case.

So, i'm still thinking an oil feed is preferable.  We must choose between evils and this evil is clearly very evil.

G

• Moderators
1 hour ago, gfl said:

Hi Jeff, and thanks for the reply.
  I'll have the shaft checked. Suggest an easy method?

Yes, its an LN. I pulled the old one when I put this motor (junkyard motor) in, bought an LN, (and admittedly gave it to the shop).

The unit in there now is a) large, b) has races like an LN, not OE, and c) has the larger shaft and threads of the LN vs OE. (C) is why its not yet n my hand, i need a different thread adapter for the LN puller -- which is intended to remove the OE bearing.

In any event, this large, open bearing failed in three years of track use, roughly 10 events per year, advanced run groups where i (admittedly) am always WOT to keep up with the much faster cars (or fail while trying).  So this method does NOT do the trick, not always. Not in my case.

So, i'm still thinking an oil feed is preferable.  We must choose between evils and this evil is clearly very evil.

G

As checking the shaft for trueness requires fixtures, you need a decent machine shop that knows what you are looking for.  I would refer you to LN as they also offer shaft chain gear pinnning services as well, which needs to be done at the same time.  LN also has the adaptor you are looking for, which I think is part of their supplemental IMS tools kit.  Ask Charles, he would know.

As for oil feeds, in addition to the heat and dirt issues, you need to also consider that feeding pressurized oil into the shaft creates yet another problem: oil starvation.  The shaft holds around 3/4 of a quart of oil when full, pulling precious volume away from the rest of the oiling system.  This is particularly critical in track only cars as these engines already have significant oiling issues, even on the street. So systems like the DOF or the roller bearing systems that flood the tube from the oil pump end are actually exacerbating these oiling issues.  On shafts that are not concentric, flooding the shaft  with oil increases the load force exerted on the IMS bearing as well.  Oiling the bearing from the flange end would allow you to plug the rest of the shaft behind the IMS bearing to stop oil entry, but this exact idea is part of the IMS Soloution patent, preventing others from using it as the idea is protected intellectual property.  If you read the link to Ashai's rebuild thread I shared with you, you would clearly see the problem.