Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

PCM 3.0 Firmware from 1.44 to 2.25

I have a PCM 3.0 with the last v1.44 firmware for that platform. Maps are most likely from 2008/2009. There are some new features in the v2.25 firmware I would like, but I don't care to spend $350 on the newer maps (live in the city, nothing changes). I have the v2.xx firmware discs to upgrade, but I am not clear if they are like the old PCM 2.1 I had that when you went to the latest firmware, it required new maps.

Can anyone say for sure (not speculate) that going to 2.25 firmware requires new maps?

Thank you.

The following additional functions can be used on PCM3.0 after updating the system software to system version V2.2, depending on vehicle equipment.

Navigation: – Adaptation of map display according to personal requirements (e.g. 3D map setting/display and hide traffic messages, etc.) and display of these features as a symbol on the map. Selection of these features by selecting a symbol on the screen.

– When displaying the list of cities containing cities with identical names, the “Details” button can be used to show an additional map with more information. This makes it easier to select the destination you want.

– Additional display of set route options (toll, highway, etc.) as symbols in the Navigation main menu.

– When the detour query function is activated, a traffic message is displayed (approx. 10 minutes before reaching a traffic jam). You can then choose to “Detour”/”Ignore” the traffic jam or request further “Details”.

Bluetooth – The internal telephone (only for telephone module [I-no. 661]) switches automatically to Handsfree Profile (HFP) mode if the mobile phone does not support the SIM Access Profile (similar to SIM card inserted in PCM). Vehicle does not have to be re-coded in the workshop.

– Synchronization of call lists on mobile phone/PCM.

Voice control (I-no. 671):

– Increased recognition rate due to additional street queries. A “Best Match” is thus shown and alternatives are ruled out immediately.

Sport Chrono (I-no. 639/640):

– Graphic display of the recorded route

– Full-text search for Standard audio USB media (searches the entire database for any text) interface (I-no. 870):

– New music search, starting from the track that is currently playing.

I would say your dealer, like most, learned one thing years ago and never bothers to learn more.

The photo below shows v2.x as proof.

I too called 4 dealers in my area and all told me I can't upgrade firmware myself, I have to bring the car in and I can only get it with a map update.

This is talking to SAs of course, keep in mind an SA is like calling customer support, but they are not usually technical, they escalate, but I bet don't want to for whatever reason.

I have done the 1.x to latest 1.x myself.  And like all firmware upgrades there is risk. Mine updated several modules, and if one of the modules fails, you are probably SOL, as the dealer does not have the tools to do a virgin bench flash. In this regard, you are better off having the dealer do it, because if they mess up, they pay to fix it.  A failed module is something only the factory or 3rd party people with the know how, can re-flash outside of the car on a bench.

One tip, if your radio is pretty old, carefully use some compressed air across the disc slot, to blow off any dust on the optical lense.  I never use my drive and have no idea how much dust could be on the lense, that can fubar you.

The disc does show the files have CRC checks, but that is not a tamper check, just tells the system if the file looks good.  Someone could easily modify a config, or change files and re-generate the CRC, leaving you in a state with a bad flash if you download a ISO off the internet.

So this still leaves me the question, can I go to version 2.20 and still use my old maps, or has the code changed enough, it can't use the old map data format.

IMG_2667.JPG

Edited by touareg

I guess I am able to answer my own question, I popped the PCM 3.0 CD I have that says v2.20 on it and this is what it tells me, that I need to install new maps after the update. Next screen asked if I wanted to install version v2.20 I also have discs all the way up to v2.25. I of course clicked no as the license is not applied to my PCM for the newer maps discs. Will have to wait and see if it applies, but so far I am doubting that 1.47 is the latest version for the cayenne....

Edited by touareg

• 3 months later...

I went and bough the maps, I was able to upgrade to v2.24, had to do a version 1.47 to 2.x upgrade, then v2.24.  Went to install the maps next but it cancels out because I do not have the license.

Was able to find a dealer that will charge me only for the time to install the license so probably less than 1 hour.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I found an update DVD from Pelican Parts and can't really get anything to happen. 997.2 with PCM 3.0 v 1.41. Neither the provided DVD nor a burnt version with 1.4x only will read. I do not have Navigation so I am not sure how the 1.x vs 2.x thing will play out. I put the disc into the head unit and it tells me Media not Playable. What might I be doing wrong?

16 hours ago, cbredesen said:

I found an update DVD from Pelican Parts and can't really get anything to happen. 997.2 with PCM 3.0 v 1.41. Neither the provided DVD nor a burnt version with 1.4x only will read. I do not have Navigation so I am not sure how the 1.x vs 2.x thing will play out. I put the disc into the head unit and it tells me Media not Playable. What might I be doing wrong?

It sounds like you have PCM3.0 with Software/Hardware Version 1.x.  This was the introduction version of PCM3.0 for MY2009 Sports cars and Cayenne.  HW/SW V2.x was introduced during MY2011.  To update 2.x there are at least 2 disks required, and I assume the same disks are used for 1.x (there are 1.x software files on the 2.x update DVD.)  The first update is a CD, so if the update you have is a DVD, then maybe you are starting out with the wrong disk.

2 hours ago, Richard Hamilton said:

It sounds like you have PCM3.0 with Software/Hardware Version 1.x.  This was the introduction version of PCM3.0 for MY2009 Sports cars and Cayenne.  HW/SW V2.x was introduced during MY2011.  To update 2.x there are at least 2 disks required, and I assume the same disks are used for 1.x (there are 1.x software files on the 2.x update DVD.)  The first update is a CD, so if the update you have is a DVD, then maybe you are starting out with the wrong disk.

Thanks for the reply!

I got a little farther with this. Rebooting PCM by holding the INFO button and then waiting got me to the point where it attempted the update. It confirmed current and future version and then reset the system to begin it. Unfortunately I got an error 3000 and it aborted the update. Message was Unexpected system reset. Will keep trying things.

Edited by cbredesen

Well my DIY update failed due to reasons listed above (error 3000). Finally took to my local dealer and paid them an hour of labor to do the official update. They gave it back to me saying my CD player didn't work. Thought that was odd and drove it home. Checked out the CD player and it's fine; took back and magically it worked when they tried again.

I'm at 1.47 now (2010 911 C2S) but still no way to adjust the AUX input volume. I'm bummed but at least I've exhausted all my options.