Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Engine lid not opening

Hi guys, 

When I try to open the engine lid by the switch it doesn't operate, I changed almost everything (lock mechanism, electric switch) but still it doesn't operate. is there a way to test the engine lid system?

Regards.

Unless it has been relocated, the engine lid emergency release cable is located under the driver's side rear light.  Use a soft plastic wedge and separate the bumper and light and fish around carefully under the light to find the cable.  Like said, once the engine lid is opened, carefully inspect the latch and electrical connectors to the latch to see if anything is loose or not connected properly.

Thanks guys but opening the engine lid by the emergency cable is what I do also I have replaced the parts linked to it (7 and 8 from the part diagram above. also the lid opening switch) . However, I want to fix the electric function of the opening mechanism, so is there a way to track the problem exactly?  

1 hour ago, Hayyan Al-Raisi said:

Thanks guys but opening the engine lid by the emergency cable is what I do also I have replaced the parts linked to it (7 and 8 from the part diagram above. also the lid opening switch) . However, I want to fix the electric function of the opening mechanism, so is there a way to track the problem exactly?  

on the 996 i was working on, there was no electronic release, it's physical.

when the release was stuck, i removed the pull handle assembly and removed the bolt holding in the release handle. sometimes with the cable stretched with age, or with the lid shocks worn, the lid won't release from the catch. because the lever can't get enough leverage to pull the cable enough. so i then had an assistant pull hard on the cable with a screwdriver inserted into the eye of the cable end. while it was being pulled i then pushed and pulled the engine lid, and it came un-latched. once you have the lid opened up, adjust the locking mechanism by loosening the two 10mm bolts and pressing it down as far as it can go, and back off the rubber stoppers on the underside of the lid as much as they go without falling off. be sure to spray in some lubricant too.

Since you have replaced 7 and 8, then there must be something wrong with the push button switch or a break in the wiring harness.  If you hook up a multimeter to the + wire of the solenoid wiring harness, check to see if when pushing the button you get 12V at the connector.  Also check the wiring harness ground.