Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Drive shaft failure UPDATE with PICS

Hi folks,

I was driving from SF to LA when the infamous rubber holding the central bearing of my drive shaft aka cardan shaft got destroyed...

Can someone please recommend and indy that can change my drive shaft in West Hollywood?

This is something I could do at home in my shop but since I'm too far I was thinking about getting this:

https://www.amazon.com/Propeller-Porsche-Cayenne-Touareg-7L6521102/dp/B019W5LLQ0/ref=pd_sbs_263_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B019W5LLQ0&pd_rd_r=DVEM8FXKG68HJSM3P5HB&pd_rd_w=4rdsB&pd_rd_wg=amEuq&psc=1&refRID=DVEM8FXKG68HJSM3P5HB

And have any mechanic I can find on the street to replace my broken one, but the shipping time will be too long.

Or just go to LA dismantler (crossing my finger) and ask them to replace mine with what they have.

What you suggest?

Thanks!!

13 hours ago, Doohan said:

Hi folks,

I was driving from SF to LA when the infamous rubber holding the central bearing of my drive shaft aka cardan shaft got destroyed...

Can someone please recommend and indy that can change my drive shaft in West Hollywood?

This is something I could do at home in my shop but since I'm too far I was thinking about getting this:

https://www.amazon.com/Propeller-Porsche-Cayenne-Touareg-7L6521102/dp/B019W5LLQ0/ref=pd_sbs_263_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B019W5LLQ0&pd_rd_r=DVEM8FXKG68HJSM3P5HB&pd_rd_w=4rdsB&pd_rd_wg=amEuq&psc=1&refRID=DVEM8FXKG68HJSM3P5HB

And have any mechanic I can find on the street to replace my broken one, but the shipping time will be too long.

Or just go to LA dismantler (crossing my finger) and ask them to replace mine with what they have.

What you suggest?

Thanks!!

Could Try this as a quick fix to get you home.... All credit to Mike Zawowsky. 

Screen shot attached 

Be careful of the cheap shafts they usually don't come as high speed balanced ( annoying vibration at highway speeds will drive you insane) and often use poor quality materials which won't last long. If the bearing is OK then do the clamping bush replacement retrofit kit from EPS. It's a diy and retains the original shaft so even though the new shaft looks cheaper and better option if you factor the labour cost in (assuming you take it to a garage) it may not be a bargain if it vibrates and doesn't last very long. Roll the dice........

Screenshot_20170418-205021.png

Edited by lewisweller
  • Upvote 1

Coming out of stasis for a minute as I can't take credit for inventing this (thanks though for the kind words Lewis) - it's called the Jimi Fix, there is a thread on Rennlist that covers the details.

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-cayenne-forum/825226-cardan-shaft.html

Very easy to do and with everything going on for me these days I actually forgot I have it in there…for several thousand kms now! Best of luck getting rolling again Doohan.

• Upvote 2

Wow, that's an awesome fix! Thanks! BTW I ended up getting the cheap cardan from Amazon, it will be installed tomorrow by a local shop. I'll tie up the old one on my roof and make it back to San Jose and if the new part gives me any problem, well it's Amazon Prime... At least I'll have the option to fix (or improve) the old one on my bench with Jimi's trick!

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Came back to SJ with the aftermarket shaft, tested 'till 95 mph no vibrations whatsoever..

Now let's have some fun and try to fix that under engineered shaft...

IMG_3759.thumb.JPG.fa6f923bbf9439d7cd097bbd78759091.JPG

fullsizeoutput_1c99.thumb.jpeg.563caa05c32d083904a1305ff7d2ba69.jpegIMG_3760.thumb.JPG.c13eab3f2636300a0d842e46ce541f92.JPGIMG_3770.thumb.JPG.ca429b8332173a6f85795b56a639a5c5.JPGIMG_3769.thumb.JPG.03c21c81a6403d07cb30de26f6fb2d5b.JPG

IMG_3766.JPG

fullsizeoutput_1c9b.jpeg

IMG_3771.JPG

Edited by Doohan

On 4/18/2017 at 5:39 PM, Doohan said:

Wow, that's an awesome fix! Thanks! BTW I ended up getting the cheap cardan from Amazon, it will be installed tomorrow by a local shop. I'll tie up the old one on my roof and make it back to San Jose and if the new part gives me any problem, well it's Amazon Prime... At least I'll have the option to fix (or improve) the old one on my bench with Jimi's trick!

What shop did you end up going to? I'm in San Jose as well and haven't decided what shop to go to for the driveline. 

My cardan shaft hasn't failed yet but I picked up an OEM driveshaft I was planning to DIY preventatively and haven't gotten around to. It looks a bit more involved than I wanted with dropping the exhaust hangers in a few spots. 

I was considering going to an offroad shop and asking them to make a beefier driveline so I don't have to worry about grenading the thing if I go off road more. 

Then I saw someone is making single-piece driveshafts: https://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Parts/955AXLE.html