Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Side window goes up and down on its own

I have a 2001 TT.  Sometimes when I am driving the drivers side window will go down 10mm like I was opening the door, the interior light comes on, and then in a bit the window goes back up.  This can happen 10 times in 5 minutes or not at all for days. I suspect a micro switch in the door but I am not sure which one. I think there are 7 of them.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so what did you do to fix it (other than taking it to the dealership)? I would like to fix this myself if I can.

I read in one of the DYI columns that the micro switches are about $120 a pair from Porsche which, unless they are carbon fiber and gold is pretty dear for micro switches.  Has anyone found another source for the micro switches?

Thanks,

Mike

What about trying the good old reset first?

Open the window completely, then close it but stay on the button for something like 30 sec when it's all up. 30 sec might be too long, but I don't remember the exact duration. [emoji6]

Thanks for the response.

The battery is a snazzy gel military grade (at least that's what the guy at t battery store told me) one that I bought less than 12 months ago. Even when the old battery was dying and the car was hard to start I didn't have this problem.

I have the same issue with my 1999 C2.  I also suspect the micro switch, but I am not sure if the switch on the door handle is the one that sends the signal when door has been opened.  I just recently purchased the car and I noticed it will sometimes double beep, like the door has been opened, in the middle of the night with the car cover on.  After about a week of not driving the car, the battery was nearly dead this morning.

OK, I am pretty sure voodoo was involved and who knows if it is fixed forever.  Yesterday I drove around with the window down an inch and then left it in the car for 6 hours or so with the window down.  When I drove it later I put the window up and I had no problems.  I wondered if perhaps the rubber around the window had compressed enough that the window never thought it was fully in the up position so I left the window down overnight and repeatedly soaked the rubber with rubber conditioner.  I drove the car for 40 minutes this morning and no problem.  It is currently snoozing in the garage with more rubber conditioner on the door gasket.  Like I said, voodoo.  I'll let you all know if it stays "fixed".

Not sure how window position would affect the car "thinking" the door has been opened.  It does lower the window slightly when the door is opened, and then raise it when the door is closed, but I did not see any type of position sensor for the window.  I am going to start by bypassing the micro switch on the door handle so the door appears closed all the time.  I think it is the driver's door giving me the problem.