Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Transmission leak 2004 CTT

Sorry it didn’t sell Lewis, but $400 in labor, wow, I’m looking at 2 grand here! So as a true Poorsche owner, check out my short term solution. I basically catheterized the bell housing; I put a nylon hose fitting into the hole where the ATF leaks from, ran that into a clear tube with a sealed end. The goal was to separate how much was leaking from the gasket still and how much (and how fast) it was coming out the torque converter seal.

CTT-18.jpg.8539c395ed054d12864088b52a670a22.jpg

The line tucks up inside the cross member when I am driving. After a few days I can see now that all the ATF is coming entirely from the seal, and I am losing about 5 mls per day. That gives me about 3-4 months before the transmission starts acting up I figure.

CTT-19.thumb.jpg.42e51c32f294d5bf9491b0142cda59b0.jpg

Ironically the system actually works pretty well, no more mess or drips. So now all I have to do is slap a 0.2 micron filter on the line, tap a port into the transmission and recirculate the ATF, problem solved! Just kidding...kind of!

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Zakowsky said:

Sorry it didn’t sell Lewis, but $400 in labor, wow, I’m looking at 2 grand here! So as a true Poorsche owner, check out my short term solution. I basically catheterized the bell housing; I put a nylon hose fitting into the hole where the ATF leaks from, ran that into a clear tube with a sealed end. The goal was to separate how much was leaking from the gasket still and how much (and how fast) it was coming out the torque converter seal.

CTT-18.jpg.8539c395ed054d12864088b52a670a22.jpg

The line tucks up inside the cross member when I am driving. After a few days I can see now that all the ATF is coming entirely from the seal, and I am losing about 5 mls per day. That gives me about 3-4 months before the transmission starts acting up I figure.

CTT-19.thumb.jpg.42e51c32f294d5bf9491b0142cda59b0.jpg

Ironically the system actually works pretty well, no more mess or drips. So now all I have to do is slap a 0.2 micron filter on the line, tap a port into the transmission and recirculate the ATF, problem solved! Just kidding...kind of!

Catheterized......lol classic, had me laughing in the car earlier when I read it. 

When mine first leaked it was on the warehouse floor and left a decent puddle. I then pulled of the covers and restarted the engine and it ran/drip fast. Your leak is a lot slower than mine. 

Just be careful it might speed up at some point. 

I will get some pictures of the seal when I get it out and see where it leaks and how exactly. 

Just got message the paint work is done and the car on the way to the garage to start the transmission removal on Saturday. 

Edited by lewisweller

Zakowsky: Love the [temporary] solution. It's actually pretty insightful to know what rate you are leaking.

Lewis: Sorry to hear your CTT didn't sell, but happy to still have you on the forum. I have another idea on your stuttering issue, but I'll post on that thread.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys...yeah, it was like one of those, I should just put a **** hose in there which became, well maybe that is not a bad idea. The leak is holding at 4-5 mls per day, and seems not to change with how much or how hard I drive, so much less than yours Lewis, which I guess is torn rather than damaged. I have a friend in town with the same vehicle, same problem, and we are shopping around for an indy to do the work at a reasonable price. But in the mean time I can keep driving it with no mess and monitor if things go south fast. For all I know it could have been leaking since I bought it, and this just lead to the large build up under the protection panel that soaked the pan, and I only saw it when it extended to the frame rails on either side.

Hope the injector cleaning solves the hesitation problem, and who knows, maybe you will want to hang on to a freshly painted, smooth running non-leaking Cayenne after all this is done!

6 hours ago, Zakowsky said:

Thanks guys...yeah, it was like one of those, I should just put a **** hose in there which became, well maybe that is not a bad idea. The leak is holding at 4-5 mls per day, and seems not to change with how much or how hard I drive, so much less than yours Lewis, which I guess is torn rather than damaged. I have a friend in town with the same vehicle, same problem, and we are shopping around for an indy to do the work at a reasonable price. But in the mean time I can keep driving it with no mess and monitor if things go south fast. For all I know it could have been leaking since I bought it, and this just lead to the large build up under the protection panel that soaked the pan, and I only saw it when it extended to the frame rails on either side.

Hope the injector cleaning solves the hesitation problem, and who knows, maybe you will want to hang on to a freshly painted, smooth running non-leaking Cayenne after all this is done!

That's the danger, I might want to keep it. 

Then the wife will be moaning if it breaks again and we missed the opportunity to sell it, especially as cash is tight. 

Well I went to the garage this evening after getting a call from the guy who runs it (from Cali USA) there initial quote was how should we say "off the cuff" and now they want to drop the engine, trans and subframe unit and then split. 

I understand why and so many do it rather than wrestle with it in position. 

So now what was 1000dhs plus parts from me, is 3000dhs! Weep weep......

The only bonus from this is that I'm getting him to install the remaining new top wishbone arm and strut bushes whilst he's got the lump on the floor. Saves me a job late. Smiles. 

I'm also thinking to fix the rear turbo vent pipes leaky oily mess, but not wanting to buy them pipes which will be another 1000dhs. 

Edited by lewisweller

That sucks. But if my conversion factors are correct still less than here. Got my first quote for the job at 1300$ CAN, which is like a grand US. But by the sound of it they don’t have much experience (or special tools) for the Cayenne so will keep shopping. But my quote is transmission out only. Would be nice to get at the turbos and do some work on the wastegates. My transmission leak is holding at 5 mls per day. But it’s running pretty good though, and I even waxed it for a change of pace. Sounds odd but I had no idea how loud the aftermarket exhaust is; I’ve owned it mainly in the winter so with the windows closed you don’t hear much. Now that spring is finally starting here I opened it up next to a wall and man does it speak up! I don't think I have seen a picture of your entire vehicle Lewis, you should post one after the paint is done.

That sucks. But if my conversion factors are correct still less than here. Got my first quote for the job at 1300$ CAN, which is like a grand US. But by the sound of it they don’t have much experience (or special tools) for the Cayenne so will keep shopping. But my quote is transmission out only. Would be nice to get at the turbos and do some work on the wastegates. My transmission leak is holding at 5 mls per day. But it’s running pretty good though, and I even waxed it for a change of pace. Sounds odd but I had no idea how loud the aftermarket exhaust is; I’ve owned it mainly in the winter so with the windows closed you don’t hear much. Now that spring is finally starting here I opened it up next to a wall and man does it speak up! I don't think I have seen a picture of your entire vehicle Lewis, you should post one after the paint is done.

Here she is. With 2008 face-lift looking rather modern. 

IMG-20160304-WA006.jpg

IMG-20160304-WA007.jpg

IMG-20160304-WA005.jpg

IMG-20160304-WA003.jpg

Edited by lewisweller

Looks awesome; I can’t see how it didn’t sell right away. The new front end really changes the look. I still find the description of the 2004 as a 911 crossed with a roller skate amusing. Are those stock rims? 20” or 22”? They look just like mine except in silver, but I thought mine were aftermarket...

Looks awesome; I can’t see how it didn’t sell right away. The new front end really changes the look. I still find the description of the 2004 as a 911 crossed with a roller skate amusing. Are those stock rims? 20” or 22”? They look just like mine except in silver, but I thought mine were aftermarket...

Didn't sell because the traders here buying from the auction are retards. They went all crazy bidding for a 2010 suburban truck with 678,000km on it and loads of bad stuff noted on the test sheet but anything older than 2009 they are not interested in at all. And face-lift or e81 power kit options are like trying to explain algebra to a young chimp. 

Yeah I like the face-lift look, tbh the older cayenne are not the prettiest Porsche car ever designed by their crack team of boffins. 

The wheels are 20" and I believe they are genuine Porsche..... Has the porsche badge in the middle so that was enough proof for me .....hehe

Edited by lewisweller

• 3 years later...