Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Boxster Recurring P0343 & Now flashing CE!!

Hi, 2001 986 2.7 with 152k miles. When I purchased the car, much work had already been done, including the (preventative) IMS bearing retrofit, plugs, tubes, coils, and AOS. The car was still throwing a P0343 code after my purchase, so we replaced both camshaft position sensors. Unfortunately, after clearing the CE light, it came back after about 20 miles or so. I don't drive the car too often (yet anyway!), but have used it occasionally, maybe 100-150 miles or so. I should note, it runs FINE. I've probably owned 5 or 6 986s, and this one seems to run comparable to any. Anyway, I decided to pull it out today, and drive it to work. It was raining pretty hard. As I approached a stoplight, I suddenly got a flashing CE light! The flashing stopped once I began moving again, and the light went back to just solid illumination. I probably wouldn't have normally risked it, but since the car was running seemingly fine, and I was only a few blocks from work, I went ahead and drove to the office. I pulled it in my private garage, and ran the codes: P0343 (still), P0300, and P1130. I believe these are misfire codes. Any relation? Does this point where I thought I was headed, to replacing a variocam solenoid? Any other ideas before we dive in there? I'm sure I'd never get lucky enough for it to be just a dirty MAF or something simple. I did also just fill the tank yesterday, but I doubt that's a culprit. Finally, should I resist driving any further, to see if the codes (& flashing) return? I don't want to jump time. As always, I appreciate, very much, all of the help and follow up on this site!!

My comment my appear simplistic ; in the old times rain was a cause of misfire because sparkplug coils and/or cables often catch water due to bad insulation or water leaks from road splashes. Even more, defective air intake systems would bring water to the air and gas mix. You may want just to pass a visual looking for wet elements that are susceptible to fail in presence of water. Best.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, for the quick follow up. I had seen that article, and certainly noticed the similarities between car and issue, but frankly, it goes over my head (most things do). I will share the info with my mechanic though, and see if we get anywhere. Would your expert opinion(s) be then, that the misfire codes are unrelated, and perhaps due to weather, as George S suggested? Primarily concerned as to whether or not the car should be driven - even to the shop, as we diagnose. Thanks as always!  

• Moderators
3 hours ago, stphnsns said:

Thanks guys, for the quick follow up. I had seen that article, and certainly noticed the similarities between car and issue, but frankly, it goes over my head (most things do). I will share the info with my mechanic though, and see if we get anywhere. Would your expert opinion(s) be then, that the misfire codes are unrelated, and perhaps due to weather, as George S suggested? Primarily concerned as to whether or not the car should be driven - even to the shop, as we diagnose. Thanks as always!  

If there is one thing I've learned over the years of working on these cars, it is not to assume anything.

I would focus on the cam sensor issue as suggested, and see what happens after it is solved.

I second what John said above. After you've fixed the P0343, if the misfire still comes up, you can start to check the coils and plugs and go from there.

Sometimes the wet weather exacerbated the issue with cracked coils. If your coils are healthy, they should not be affected by weather.

Based on  my amateurish experience with a related issue- inspect the coils in bright light with a lens after you have cleaned them. Mine had hairline cracks beginning. That is where moisture will eventually penetrate and cause a Misfire.Bad for the Cat also.

The coils have been updated - slightly thicker so supplied with longer bolts. Spark plugs and tubes at the same time while you are in there?

I hope this helps you.