Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

We have a 2005 Cayenne, about a month ago the 4 wheel drive faulty light came on.  Now the last two days while driving when going around a corner or a light acceleration 3 times have heard a real hard knock sounds like coming from under the passenger seat.  let off the throttle and it goes away.  not sure what to think but i am pretty sure is in the transfer care. any experience or suggestions? is there a way can fix it myself or do have to take to shop?

9 hours ago, MarkPlu said:

We have a 2005 Cayenne, about a month ago the 4 wheel drive faulty light came on.  Now the last two days while driving when going around a corner or a light acceleration 3 times have heard a real hard knock sounds like coming from under the passenger seat.  let off the throttle and it goes away.  not sure what to think but i am pretty sure is in the transfer care. any experience or suggestions? is there a way can fix it myself or do have to take to shop?

Check the cardan shaft Centre bearing first and the flex disc, then start looking at other possibilities like the transfer case. 

The warning normally relates to a electronic fault inside the stepper motor and or the control module in earlier models, as opposed to a mechanical issue with the TC itself. 

Thank you for your response.

Is the Cardan Shaft Centre bearing the 4-wheel drive shaft from the transfer case forward or is it something else.  Sorry I am not sure.  I did check that Shaft the flex disk and shaft seemed ok to me, about the same movement as the main driveline. I would like to fix it myself but as never working on a porsche before have not ventured to far into anything. 

1 hour ago, MarkPlu said:

Thank you for your response.

Is the Cardan Shaft Centre bearing the 4-wheel drive shaft from the transfer case forward or is it something else.  Sorry I am not sure.  I did check that Shaft the flex disk and shaft seemed ok to me, about the same movement as the main driveline. I would like to fix it myself but as never working on a porsche before have not ventured to far into anything. 

Crawl under safely jack and Jack stand on the passenger side is the easiest way I found without a lift. Approximately in the middle  centre of the car you will see this, first picture. Grab the shaft and shake it. If it is sloppy it's the bush worn out, really there should be no real movement. This is the most likely cause of thumping knocking banging noise under seat area.

A vibration and noise with occasional click clunk can be the flex disc Rubber is split and sloppy. Second picture. 

This link will also help.....

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Porsche-Cayenne/29-SUSPEN-Driveshaft_Bearing_Support_and_Flex_Disc_Replacement/29-SUSPEN-Driveshaft_Bearing_Support_and_Flex_Disc_Replacement.htm

IMG_20170527_0924147.jpg

IMG_20170527_0923537.jpg

Ok it is that. so now i will just have to order the part and change it out.  I am pleased it lasted over 200K miles though.  I have the link also saved for the instructions. Your help was greatly appreciated. Thank you Lewisweller

thumbnail_IMG_0807.jpg

43 minutes ago, MarkPlu said:

Ok it is that. so now i will just have to order the part and change it out.  I am pleased it lasted over 200K miles though.  I have the link also saved for the instructions. Your help was greatly appreciated. Thank you Lewisweller

thumbnail_IMG_0807.jpg

Very welcome Markplu. 

You have a few options 

1. Change the cardan shaft which is quite expensive unless you go for a flee bay/amazon special which some have reported are OK! The main concern being whether its high speed balanced well and of course the quality of materials/longevity. 

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-Cayenne-VW-Touareg-Driveshaft-02-10-Propeller-Shaft-Drive-Shaft-CA/162526278568

2. Is to use one of these retro fit kits which doesn't require removal of shaft and just replaces the bush but uses the existing bearing which may or may not be worn out so be careful about that. Some people have removed the shaft and replaced the bearing and the bush and keep the original shaft. 

https://www.amazon.com/Clamping-Bearing-Support-Porsche-Cayenne/dp/B0063GQP6S

3. Do the whole diy job with this kit which I think is brilliant and also includes the flex disc which is likely to be nearly worn out or already worn out by 200k. This also keeps your oem shaft and the balance of it and is the cheapest option aside from being very much hands on job.