Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

pcm, no sound, navigation not available, telephone not available, maps not available, cd changer not available

Sent my head unit to maple,, a mates offered to let me try his head unit in my car out of curiosity,, would it plug and play or are they coded to the car ?? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

Hi, I have just purchased a 996 C4 2004 and the pcm2 indicates the above message. When I try to operate the radio I can find a programme but there is no sound. There is a cd changer under the front bonnet but it does not appear to have power to it, or I am concluding that as the disc tray doesn’t eject when I press the button.

I understand a pcm2 manual can be downloaded from this site but where is it?

If the CD Changer isn't getting power, it will cause a break in the fibre optic loop, and there will be no sound and no phone.  First check fuses D8, D9, D10, E5 and E8 on the panel in the driver;s footwell.  If that doesn't help, check you are getting 12v to the power plug on the CDC witha multimeter or test bulb.  If you get 12v there, it may be that the glass fuse on the circuit board of the CDC has blown.  It is replaceable, but you have to take the CDC out and take off the covers to access it.

Richard, thanks for the reply.

Since posting I had a look at the cd auto changer and found the power plug and what I believe is a fibre optic cable to have been left loose. The fibre optic cable appears to have some sort of bridge fitted to it. Also, in the glove box is a device with a usb plug and an older type iPod plug on a cable connected to it. The device also has a couple of audio plugs and a blue light. 

I plugged my iPhone into the usb and nothing happened apart from the iPhone showing a charging sign which pulsed on and off. When I plugged the connector into my iPod it said Dension on the iPod but nothing changed on the car audio.

Any ideas what this is all about?

Look lower down on the page I linked to.  You will see the black plastic housing there.  The main box is probably tucked somewhere behind the glove box.  It think you need to start from the basics.  Check the fuses, then check the MOST loop, and that you are getting power to each unit (phone module, amplifier, etc.).

I know this isn’t related to this post but I removed my 996 S4 front end yesterday to  clean and inspect the ac condensers and radiators and found a Motorola antenna under the n/s headlamp and a loose thin wire with what looks like a sensor draped across the front of the car. Is the antenna something worth keeping and what’s the thin wire/sensor thing? It does look like it’s been retrofitted.

Quite a lengthy process removing the front end but the condensers and radiators were caked in filth and it was so satisfying doing th job.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I looked at my audio system in more detail. 

Firstly I checked the cd auto changer located under the front bonnet. There was power to it but nothing happening. I removed it and checked the small glass fuse and found it to be blown. I replaced it. The cd cartridge now ejects as it should.

In the process I found the two orange fibre optic cables to have been removed from the cd auto changer and fitted with a bridge piece.

I removed the audio system from the dash and found the Dension unit behind it. The fibre optic wires are connected to the audio unit and also go into the Dension usb box which is fitted in the glove box.

The audio system functions ok on nav and the map works.The radio channels are programmed in to the audio unit.

So, all in all it seems that everything is where it should be.

The problem I have is there is no sound coming out of the system. When I turn the volume button up nothing happens. There is no indication on the screen of volume level, which I would have thought would appear when the volume is adjusted.

My reckoning is the amplifier is duff. Am I right in thinking that?

Is the audio unit worth repairing? I take it that’s where the amp is located?

Or am I better off just replacing the system with something more up to date with current maps, bluetooth, etc?

I agree.  It sounds like the amp has failed.  The amplifier is a separate unit, located in the front luggage compartment.  The most economical way is to get a second hand amp.  You'll find them on eBay, or try a Porsche dismantler like 9Apart.co.uk.  Another good source is boxsterbits.co.uk who often have them in stock.

Looked at the amp today. It’s a 996 645 333 made in 2013 so must be a replacement. I took the covers off it and there’s no sign of burnt or overheated components nor is there a smell so maybe it’s ok. The fibre optic cable has light from one cable when disconnected.

Still get the error message, no amplifier, no cd autochanger etc.

Is there another amp somewhere in the car?